what is this?

Started by
22 comments, last by scorchsaber 19 years, 10 months ago
Hello I a person who wants to make a game, yknow, one of those loners you see at school well, I''ve been reading, and there is this "report" thing you have to make, no? like a documentary on the game? how do I make it? In what order do I put ideas? can you give me an example? if so, where? give me a hand here, this story is going to explode out of my head!!!! right now my PC is fried, so Im stuck with library comps and the school comps (which I am using now) but I do want to write down this report thing. is there a special name for it? can you give me a quick guide on how to make one? PS: If you are interested in helping (not that anyone is) then just wait a bit. I still need to complete the story! email me though, I will remember. my email is scorchsaber@hotmail.com no spam please. also, if you want to help, just remember, its gonna be a bloody fps, with, uh, lots of blood. oh and the title I think will be bladeborn legacies just one thing, should there be an E on the end to make it bladeborne legacies? i dunno. just email me if you want, but if I were you, I would wait til I make this "report" thing. SEE: above
Advertisement
Not a funny joke.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
On the assumption that this isn''t a joke, what you''re referring to is called a design document. This is where you explain what your game will be like with as much details as you can. How the player interacts with the game world, what the in-game systems will be like, etc.. It can be used to give, say, other members of your dev team an idea pertaining to what you want to do.

Concerning the name, if wether there should be an ''e'' at the end or not is your main concern right now, you should consider revising your priority list.
Sorry if Im a silly N00B who doesn't like to be INSULTED. I just forgot what it was called, I saw it at some forums. now if you don't MIND I am actually serious, and WHAT THE HECK IS SO FUNNY?!?!?!?!?!?
sorry if I am FLAMING you but people have FEELINGS you know, and I AM NOT JOKING AROUND. what is so funny? sorry if Ive never made a game before, sorry if I actually like to think of ways the industry needs to get better, sorry if I am impatient about itry if I actually am SERIOUS. now if you don't mind, WHAT IS SO FUNNY?!?!??????? sorry if I slipped in 1 or 2 jokes, sorry if I really don't like being ignored, sorry for even existing, if that makes you happy, so, please, don't think its a joke, and actually HELP ME! I actually am HUMAN you know, and if you think otherwise, THEN GO ..............................................................................................................................

okay. I think I am done ranting.

nope

WHAT THE HECK WAS SO FUNNY THAT IT MADE IT SEEM LIKE A JOKE? WHAT? TELL ME, WAS IT THE BEGINNING???? WAS IT THE MIDDLE?????WAS IT THE END????I am seriously dissapointed in these forums. I thought that maybe here I wouldn't be that loner. I thought HERE that someone could actually help. but no. Its just like the real world isn't it? just a bunch of people who are insensitive, annoying, and I bet the only difference between here and the bullies and cliques in the real world is this: you like gaming, and making the games too.

the rant is over now, so you can pay attention

and by the way, I wanted to get EVERYTHING I CAN DO, DONE before I tried to get a team to help me. not that anyone will from here, judging by sumdude (EDIT deleted), dont want this whole message to be). I wanted to have the story, the gameplay, the GUI ideas, the characters, and all that, done, and that INCLUDES THE NAME. I have everything else IN MY HEAD. I just wanted to have it on paper for others to see. I have my priorities straight, and thank you, at least you answered. unlike sumdude, who I don't like very much. maybe I shouldnt have even suggested helping, since I dont have this report thing, oh,"design document". and I probably wont untill tomorrow. but please, why did anyone think this was a joke???

and don't delete this post because it is a flame, it actually has some points that people should carry on in life.

I think.

of course, you think that a joke like that makes the whole post like that don't you? Now please show me if the whole community is like this, and TREATS EVERYTHING LIKE A JOKE!??

Oh, also, maybe you should take the time to read this. I think it expresses my feelings very well.

well.
thats probably longer than any forum post or email I have ever made. I should do this more often.

[edited by - scorchsaber on May 27, 2004 5:42:38 PM]
Write it the same way as you'd write a project for school. There's no One Format for design documents that people must have. Your goal is to put all your ideas down and communicate them to the reader so they understand what you want to do. If there's a story involved, write it as a story. Then explain how you want the gameplay to work, any technical details, etc.

And the reason why people are insulting you should be clear if you look at other posts and see what kinds of questions people are asking. You can't ask something this general, with little regard for spelling/grammar, and expect people to respect it. Nor should you react by writing a paragraph-long rant because one guy wrote one sentence in reply. Don't worry about it, it's not like you'll be kicked from the forums for your first post.

[edited by - Matei on May 27, 2004 5:57:17 PM]
i belive it was this line:
quote:
also, if you want to help, just remember, its gonna be a bloody fps, with, uh, lots of blood. oh and the title I think will be
bladeborn legacies

people who are typically "mocking" noobs will put in lines like that to indicate that they are being jokey or whatever (it''s the vaguery of the line). you just happened to stumble on the formula for indicating that "this thread is a joke". no big deal, just let the water roll off your back.

but yeah, it''s called a Design Document. and it''s not "required" per say. i mean you can happily create a game w/out one and no game police will come knocking down your door or anything . it''s definitely good practice though and will help you organise your thoughts and make the development process easier.

anyway, best of luck, and try to ignore the previous comments. like i said you just unfortunately stumbled on an old gamedev formula for indicating that "the following thread is a mocking joke"...

-me
Hey, somebody actually took me seriously! :D

wait a minute.

Im happy? as if it was a first????

>

sigh.
thank you!
I have to add that generally in an online forum (such as this) people are unwilling to work on projects with you unless you have some credibility (like past projects, etc).
say WHAAAAAAAAAT!?
I just put that line in there to make it less bland, not to make the WHOLE thing a joke! whoooooo boy. I need a manual on forums.
btw I think people can still actually learn from my post, and if it is deleted, I will just keep on posting it back. I have it stored on a floppy. wonderful speech...sigh.
oh and I know the ""police"" won''t come, I just wan''t everything to be nice and organised when I ask for help. espciually since I am just a junior modeler, and don''t think I am even the right kind of person for programming, even though I used to know JAVA, but its not really something I enjoy, MODELING on the other hand.... but I am just a beginner, and I don''t have the tools to make music. and Im no 2D artist. maybe after I make the design Doc I will hold it off until I learn how to model better, even though I think I am good enough, I am a bit...slow, and I still need to muster up the cash to buy milkshape, I just use anim8or, its good for me, and FREE. www.anim8or.com
I love advertising it to everyone lol.
what do you all think, should I maybe wait a bit until I can actually help with something else?
How can I have credibility? this is my first project! so I should wait till EclipseGL comes out? Im just a silly mapper, and thats my first time even trying to map! www.eclipseGL.com
I don''t even enjoy mapping, I just wanted to help make a game! I plan on holding my project off until I am done with EclipseGL, but...... sigh. I didn''t ask what other projects Sepht and the others have done. I just wanted to help. I guess I really am a loner, after all, I am alone in everything else.....I guess I should learn how to program and take this project up in A FEW YEARS? sigh. i DO need a guide on forums. anyway, next week-end I will make the Design Doc, thats when my computer gets back. sigh
PS I like that smilie

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement