GUI in my app

Started by
6 comments, last by dathui 19 years, 10 months ago
Im wondering wether to use a already finished gui-library or make my own. is it hard to make your own? doesn anybody know a good library? reality is only an option
reality is only an option
Advertisement
I use QT

If God played dice, He''d win.
—Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos
If God played dice, He'd win.—Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos
i made my own, not horribly difficult, and i began with an article hosted here at gamedev.(named something like "A GUI in DirectX")

i found it pretty rewarding, the only part i found difficult was making the interface intuitive and im still messing around with serialization.

Dredd

"To die with your sword still in its sheath is most regrettable" -- Miyomoto Musashi

"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
I''ve decided to try to take on the task myself using a scripting system which is loaded on app startup. I have one base class which contains members and methods which are common to any type of control you can think of be it a button, textbox, listbox, etc. and then build them up from there.

If you''re up for the challenege I''m sure it''s much more rewarding when you complete your own and see it rendering on the screen for the first time, but if you''d rather focus more on gameplay than the entire engine itself maybe using a pre-defined library might be your option.

Permafried-
Most GUI''s in games are self coded and it''s probably the best way to go. The front end of many games consists of little more than a menu or something. For a complex windowed game, like a chess game, you mgiht consider using the Windows interfaces.

Mark
Ever wanted to command a starship?
http://www.lostinflatspace.com
Coding your own gui can be easy but put some thought and time into desiging it.

I also suggest using Xml to persist it so it''s easy to edit
ujhkfkfk
If you''re using DX, making a GUI is very simple; just use pre-transformed quads and ID3DXFont.

I''ve got a fairly robust GUI implemented now that can draw about 500 windows full of buttons, text, and whatnot before any slowdown is observed.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

the project is very gui-heavy, a quite unnusual app, but i dont want to use dx...looks like im gonna make myself a ogl-gui
reality is only an option

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement