Development Stages...

Started by
2 comments, last by RanBlade 19 years, 11 months ago
I know what the desgin stage is... But what makes teh game in its alpha stage or its beta stage... My guess is that alpha is when the engine is compelted and u can load the game but you cant play it yet... Beta is when the game is playable but still has issues to be worked out... Is this correct or is it more complicated/detailed? Tried a search but couldnt get anyhting to come up. Thanks for any replies.
RanBlade "Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios
[GameDev][C++ Page][Game Tutorials][FreeBSD][HawkNL(Hawk Network Library)][NeHe Productions][Gamedev book''s] [Virtually Online-Books][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej''s Guide to Network Programming][Mage Tower Ent-My Site]

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Advertisement
Alpha is when you have all the features for your application or game developed and compiling
Beta is when you''re done with in-house testing and ready to let outside parties use the application
Gold Master is when you''re ready to burn to CD and distribute

(Sometimes Gold Master is also referred to as Release Candidate)
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."
hmmm... i might slightly disagree.

- R+D is R+D of course.
- Pre-Alpha is when the code compiles but is feature incomplete and has bugs.
- Alpha is when the features are in but still buggy as heck and a lot of the "wiring" is not completely done.
- Beta is when the features are in and major bug-hunting starts. Basically, beta = debug phase.
- A "Release Candidate" is a copy that appears to be good to go, but still gets heavily scrutinized. Some software goes through several RCs before going gold.
- If a RC copy doesn''t have any more bugs that anyone finds (that the publishers won''t let out, at least...), then it becomes "Gold". Just like a record, it''s the copy that goes to press.
Thanks a lot for the replies. Looks like I was off. Thanks for clearing it up

RanBlade
"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios
[GameDev][C++ Page][Game Tutorials][FreeBSD][HawkNL(Hawk Network Library)][NeHe Productions][Gamedev book''s]
[Virtually Online-Books][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej''s Guide to Network Programming][Mage Tower Ent-My Site]

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement