Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rherm23

im a quick learner and need some direction

rherm23    147
I am currently teaching myself c++ from online tutorials and some library books. I have got a decent grasp on the basics but want to get into making smaller games to get some experience in game dev. What else do i need to be learning in order to work my way up the game ladder. I would like a tutorial or info on how to program games since all these books ever show me is how to program weird stuff of no interest.

vNistelrooy    140
Games? What games? 3D? 2D? You don't need any book to program 2D pong, and you better do something like that as a start. If you want 3D then you better learn linear algebra first.

Edit: Not again. I'm begining to hate this "Include my prefered post icon" thing, as this isn't the icon I wanted!!

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

[edited by - CPPMaster Poppet on May 27, 2004 2:15:21 PM]

Red Drake    120
Don''t write you are quick lerner - most of the imbeciles form this forums will yump at you and start atacking you (I had som expiriance with this , who are these guys anyway )

As for learning - Start with NEHE for OpenGL (nehe.gamedev.net).
The tutorials will not only asume you dont know 3D programing it wil teah you some basic C/C++.

I learnd it with in a month (C/C++ and OpneGL) buth i was acting kind of a strange. I didn''t leave the house that month (besides school) and I was at computer about 8 h a day. When I started to get bad grades at school, lose half of my friends ... I slowd down and started to come back to normal.
But when I think back on that month - What I hawe learnd ... it was definatly worth of it

P.S. Sory abouth gramatical errors

Matei    190
Start Here

Also, I recommend looking through some books on general game programming. One that I really liked was this one. The author has a very good writing style. That book also has a follow-up about 3D graphics, which I don't own but which seems to be recieving pretty good reviews. There are of course many other books as well.

[edited by - Matei on May 27, 2004 5:42:49 PM]