Latest survey

Started by
5 comments, last by LizardCPP 19 years, 10 months ago
I saw the new survey on gamedev, the ask "What is the most exciting upcoming 3D technology in your opinion?" I have seen and read a bit about HDRI and spherical Harmonics, but what are the others? Crowd Simulation, Sub Surface Sacttering, Ambient Oclusion and Micro Triangle Displacement. Anyone care to shed some light? LizardCPP
Advertisement
Ooops, I think that was my survey poll, I posted ages ago!! Forgot I did that!!

Just seeing what people were interested in at the mo, and whether all the buzzwords mean anything to anyone at all? Just for reference ...

Crowd Simulation - tools for animating armies/crowds AKA Helm''s Deep In Lord of The Rings + many shots in Troy (bit like my own personal project - "Noodle" - if anyone''s interested?)

Sub Surface Scattering - Shading technique used for skin on models (i.e Gollum''s skin shader/Shrek''s skin)

Ambient Occlusion - fast cheat to get radiosity-type lighting in a seperate render pass

Micro Triangle Displacement - bit like detail mapping, but with geometry NOT textures!!

Hope that helps?
where''s this new survey?

also, HDRI isn''t *THAT* new, neither is SSS. it''s just that we''ve been able to do that stuff in real time now.

ambient occlusion is just bending the normal a bit on a model so you get different lighting result (you can kinda get soft shadows doing this). Ogre, the nVidia demo did it.

SSS = Light interaction in translucent materials, like milk and marble.

Don''t know much about "Crowd Simulation" or Micro Triangle Displacement, although it kind of reminds me of Renderman.
I always figured that Crowd Simulation - from a graphics point of view, at least - was just one big mixture of LOD techniques and stuff like geometry instancing. Am I missing something?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Regarding the crowd simulation in lord of the rings, I remember there was a program or a plugin developed for this purpose called massive. it is able to handle up to 20000 monsters, with their AI for enemy and friend detection, ability to see through the eyes of any monster at any time and much more.I don''t remember that I read about any LOD or similar techniques, and they don''t need to have as this is a non realtime rendering.
Of course this needs a lot of processing and redering power and generally difficult to simulate in games on current hardware.

Mohammad Adel
Optimize

"If A is a success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut". Einstien
Ummmm. I guess I put crowd simulation in there as its an animation tool/technique and part of 3d in general. Nothing to do with its rendering!!

Not sure about tbe age of the other techniques, I just guessed it would be interesting to see what people in real-time 3d are really getting excited about in CG. I suppose a better question would be what is the most interesting technique in CG/films/etc at the moment?
There was a thread on directx dev mailing list posted a year ago about the crowd rendering.you can search for it in the archives.

Mohammad Adel
Optimize

"If A is a success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut". Einstien

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement