still can't find enough on assembly graphics programming

Started by
4 comments, last by jimiwa 19 years, 10 months ago
Here I am posting again. (I want to write a game in assembly language, without integrating it with another language like c++) I haven''t learned assembly yet but I am willing to spend the time and effort to do that - if I can find tutorials to help me. I can''t find the information that I need on the web that covers graphics programming in assembly. I found a couple of mode 13h articles but I don''t know what assembler they were written for. I''m thinking I''m probably not going to find what I''m looking for. My requirements are: 1. the compiler 2. general programming tutorials- they must be compatible with the compiler I get 3. graphics tutorials - they must be compatible with the compiler I get, too. I''m thinking I may have to go another route instead of internet searches. Are there assembly language books out there that deal with graphics programming?
Advertisement
On NeHe, some of the lessons also have sourcecode for Assembler.
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
What an extravigant waste of time.

MindEngine Development | E-Commerce Business Architecture
Michael Abrash has written a book called The Graphics Programming Black Book which is actually now available for free:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1698.asp

The book itself is pretty entertaining read (although the first half of the book is on x86 Assembly Optimization, and may be beyond the scope of a new assembly programmer). The second half of the book seems to focus on precisely what you''re asking for: Graphics in x86 Assembly.

IIRC, Abrash uses Borland''s TASM to compile the programs in the book, but compiling using MASM should be almost as straightforward.

A book called Assembly Language for Intel-based Computers, by Kip Irvine, is a pretty good place to start learning the fundamentals of the Intel Assembly language (and it includes a copy of the MASM compiler, as well)

A small word of warning (which I''m sure you''ve heard before):
Programming a game entirely in any flavour of Assembly is a tremendous task, and probably not worth the man-hours you will put into it. That being said, I wish you the best of luck

Speed wins.

Don''t just jump right in to graphics if you''re new to assembly. Start with something console and learn basic input output and a few DOS interrupts. Once you have a better grasp of the language, you''ll understand mode 13h better. If you can still find it, LaMothe''s Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 days has a few things about mode 13h and DOS programming (its in C, but most of it carries over to ASM pretty easily).

Take a look at a few of these pages:

ASM:
Gavin''s guide to 80x86 assembly
PCASM

Also check out the Art of Assembly.

DOS:
DOS interrupts
DOS Programming

If you decided on an assembler, familiarize yourself with the documentation. If you get a chance, you can check out Intel''s IA-32 manuals for a deeper understanding of the language and how the processor works.
To learn more about VGA, search around for the FreeVGA documentation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement