What could be restricting my framerate?

Started by
37 comments, last by Jonny K 19 years, 10 months ago
Doh, I guess I never included a readme, huh?

Z and X shoot. F1 through F5 also do some graphical stuff...
Advertisement
quote:"The Instruction at 0x77f580c9" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Sounds like someone is referencing a null pointer...

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Well, even though I haven''t solved the problem yet, I''m still going to release version 0.5 to the public! (since it''s not a huge problem).

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=228106

This is the official release, which includes the new log file generation. Give it a try Blue Mind...I''d like to see how far the log gets before it crashes.

Jonny K. :-)
Ok, this''ll mess you up.

I commented out all my update code, and all my rendering code. The entire game loop became:

loop()
{
//Clear buffers
//Swap buffers
}

I even commented out the FPS calculation. All my timers were disabled, EVERYTHING disabled. The ONLY thing this program does is clear and swap empty buffers, that''s it (and I left those, since FRAPS needs them). I then used FRAPS to view the framerate.

And guess what it was? 86fps. Sigh.

Therefore, it can''t be my code, it must be something I haven''t considered yet. Perhaps Windows is giving my game a low priority? Perhaps GLUT/OpenGL is secretly limiting the FPS somehow? ARGH!!!!!
Im using a 9600PRO and it is also stuck at 85-90fps. I have used glut in the past and gotten fps at 800-1200 on GF4''s so it has to be your code i guess. I also turned vysnc off, no difference.
Hmm, so gutted it''s still limited. I''ve never used fraps myself could it be slowing it down?

Try the average fps thing I mentioned. IE

start=time();
loop{
//Swap Buffers
//incr frame count
}
log(frames/(time()-start));

Then run it without fraps. And check the log file.
If it''s still messed up post the gutted version, and I''ll run it on my machine. And if it''s fine on my machine it''s probally a driver or dll (IE your version of glut). If it''s still messed up on mine then we might need to try a different compiler (I hate blaming the compiler but you seem to be running low on options). Which compiler are you using?
I''m compiling with Visual Studio .NET, so I assume it''s a microsoft compiler.

I''ll try your code and get back to you...
Maybe (as someone already mentioned) it''s something in your initializing code. Some setting that screws with the fps...

Hellsp4wn
-----------

I''m having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. It''s like I think I''ve forgotten this before.
--- Hellsp4wn ---AstralShadow | ScreamTech

VG Cats

OOOOHHHHH! I fixed it! GRRRRRR!!!

Sigh. Ok, here''s what the problem was. GLUT was only drawing the screen when I called "glutPostRedisplay();", and I was only calling this function within my game update loop. I didn''t realize that GLUT would ONLY draw the screen when I called this, and do nothing otherwise.

So, I set "glutIdleFunc()" to point to a function that does nothing but call "glutPostRedisplay()".

Sigh. ALL that effort, and it''s such a stupid little problem.

Thanks for all the help. Oh, and I''m getting a good 300fps now. :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement