modern graphics engines...

Started by
17 comments, last by no one 19 years, 10 months ago
I think hobbiest can create something better then large corporations. Im a linux user and what is linux but an OS created by hobbiests. Its the best OS on the market right now and more and more people are going to it. If someone can organize enough people sure its possible.
--------------------------Nukemmsn: nukem996@hotmail.comaim: nukem996open source open mind
Advertisement
Large corporations(and small ones to) have only a couple of advantages over hobysts, otherwise it''s the same.

1.more dedicated time(latley i have been working on a two month long project, it really makes a difference when your working on it full time).

2. more recources(what can i say, money helps).

3. better organisation (documentation is key if a project is to succeed).

4. finaly, talent thends to gather in these places(it''s simple realy, who would hire untalanted people).

---------------------------------
For an overdose of l33tness, flashbang.nu
quote:Original post by Nukem
I think hobbiest can create something better then large corporations. Im a linux user and what is linux but an OS created by hobbiests. Its the best OS on the market right now and more and more people are going to it. If someone can organize enough people sure its possible.

Using Linux as an example of being able to compete with Unreal 3 is an unrealistic comparison. OS''s are built on well established princiles that have been tried, tested and refined. Graphics engines have a tendancy to require different structures and approaches every new hardware generation as the requirements and focus changes.

Thats not to say an open source project can''t do rather well, and projects like OGRE are pretty advanced. But you won''t see bleeding edge tech appearing in it.
hehe, yeah the matrix has me... lol. I just really hate living where I am, people around here seem like there baffled by a light bulb let in though knowing anything about programming. I want to get involved with a project of some sort and actually start doing doing something with my skills instead of just watching what others are doing and have done. It just feels as though that time has stopped for me but the rest of the world is in hyper drive. Thus, I have a strong feeling of distance between my dreams and where Im at now. School will take another 4 years by which time, the 4th gen engines will comming out.

I realised something the other day, I started coding around the same time carmack started work on the doom 3 engine, about 4 years ago. Before that, he had already made like what, 8 engines.
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
What''s the main reason you started programming? Games? Animations? Anything else? Just go and make that one thing (or at least try), don''t just sit there waiting for a project, start one, alone or with other people.
quote:
Now back to my point. It seems that nowdays, a rendering engine (not including animation, visibiltiy testing etc) is basically a collection of shaders. Am I wrong?

Yes. Well, more specifically, the animation, visibility testing, precalculation, data management, and art path are where all the hard work happens. The actual shaders are mostly cake (or, if you prefer, Easy Cheese).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I think the unreal 3 screen shots are really starting to show a trend in graphics that has been a long time comming:

How good a game looks depends entirly on the artists abilities to exploit the code, not the codes abilities to exploit the artist.

If you get me..?

I basically mean we are simulating now not emulating.

| - My project website - | - email me - |
The only reason Unreal 3 looks so good is not as much because of shaders but bacause it uses HDR lightining. Which is a very effective way to produce photorealistic images. However this technique has its own limitations.

Check out http://www.debevec.org/ for more info.
I still think 'hobby programmers' are in with a shot - perhaps more so nowadays, as what I think as the 'base level' of gfx quality & speed is now achievable a lot easier than ever with the gfx processors and faster CPUs. (OT: They also have I think more opportunity to tweak and include more gameplay elements than companies with deadlines.)
My pet project is the work of a single programmer and about 1 week's work from a modeller (and help from mailing lists - hplus stand up )
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martingbell/projects/

[edited by - aph3x on June 3, 2004 8:13:35 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement