Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stencil Buffer Bug

This topic is 4946 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! I'm currently playing around with "Planar Projection Shadows" but since 2 days i'm stuck with a problem concerning the stencil buffer. I project my objects onto the ground plane with all neccessary parameters set (like in the stencil paper from Mark Kilgard). Everything works fine as long i don't resize my OpenGL Application to something above ~1280*800 ... After that i get such errors: http://www.thomas-obermaier.de/stencil_bug.jpg I am using a notebook with a resolution of 1920*1200 (ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo with latest drivers installed) A friend told me there are some bugs in the ATI drivers that cause such strange patterns. Is this true? Are there some workarounds? Thanks in advance, Thomas [edited by - Thomas Obermaier on May 28, 2004 6:21:20 AM]

Addition:

I did some tests: Everything above 1280 * 1024 fucks totally up. This occurs only on this ATI card. I tested it on a GeForceFX5900 and everything ran fine.

Hum... I really suspect a bug in the drivers....

Thomas

Guest Anonymous Poster
lol: from your image it seems that ATI implemented only a stencil-buffer on the upper-side of the screen... In every case, ATI driver for mobile cards really sucks: a friend of mine working in professional 3d IT has changed his notebook because of shitty ATI drivers...

But...

...I had a similar problem with SDL: my program was running fine on ATI and shows some problems on NVidia. The problem was SDL: with ATI drivers, it automatically uses a stencil buffer, with NVidia ones, you have to set the stencil parameter manually. That''s a strange behaviour, but was my fault.
Your problem sounds like a *BIG* bug into ATI''s driver: is that possible? Drop an email to ATI''s support: if that''s is really a bug, they''ll pay you a beer!