opengl performance (display lists and multitexturing)

Started by
5 comments, last by valterc 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone, I just have a question... I''m displaying a rather big mesh (~500000 vertices) on a Radeon 9500 using triangle strips, the mesh could be just lighted, textured or multi textured (for detailing). I got the following fps: with display list: notex 122 tex 90 detail 3 (!!!) without display list: notex 3.6 tex 3.6 detail 3 ok, the question is: is it normal? that difference of rendering speed between DL or no DL and between simple texturing an multi texturing? hope that someone could give me an answer... bye.
Advertisement
yes, this is normal, in case you used display listed glvertex3f vs. immidiate mode glVertex3f...

with multitexturing things are slower beacause you have to do the texture calculations multiple times..

what is `detail''?
our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
"notex" is just lighted polygons (one infinite light source and normals)
"tex" is just one texture for the whole mesh (no extensions at all)
"detail" is multitexturing (using ARB extensions), two textures.

I also noticed that the slow down between tex and detail is due to
a call to (*glMultiTexCoord2fARB)(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB, u, v). I mean, with this call everything will slow down (from 90 to 3fps!!!) even if I don''t actually draw the second textures...

This sounds pretty strange to me...

Do you think things will go better with vertex arrys?
I have a feeling it''s because glMultiTexCoord2fARB is a function pointer defined by you, and that somehow prevents OpenGL from storing the display list in VRAM. Effectively this makes the display list act (almost) exactly the same as immediate mode, thus the same bad performance. You should probably use VBO instead and fall back to vertex arrays if VBO is not supported.

Ok, I will try using VBO (my hardware should support it).

Anyway, you''re probably right (thank you), but is it generally true
that I cannot use extensions inside display lists? I''m using glut so the only way (as I know) for using extensions is doing something like: include glext.h, check for availability and then

static PFNGLMULTITEXCOORD2FARBPROC glMultiTexCoord2fARB = NULL;

glMultiTexCoord2fARB = (void *) wglGetProcAddress("glMultiTexCoord2fARB");

Is there a better way to do that?
bye.
the more i think about it, the more i dont think thats the problem.
A Display list doesnt compile the C function calls into a list, it saves a command buffer which is generated by calls into OpenGL, so the fact that you are calling an extension shouldnt matter at all as it will still setup an instruction/group of instruction in the command list when its created.

Granted this doesnt help you, but I dont think your problem is that its an extension...

[Phantom Web | OpenGL Window Framework ]
"i wonder why i do that... type words which are nuffin like the word i wanted every now and badger"
I was able to track down the problem to a single issue...
I have the same bad performance if (without activating multitexturing at all) I duplicate the tex coord functions.

Which is: if I do, for every vertex
glTexCoord2f(u, v);
glTexCoord2f(u, v); /// I know... this is stupid...

I have the same (bad) perfomance as

glMultiTexCoord2fARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB, u, v);
if(tDrawMode == T_TEXDETAIL)
glMultiTexCoord2fARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB, u, v);

Remember that I''m inside a display list.
Ok, any hints about this?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement