Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX9SDK texture tool give d3d device error

This topic is 4947 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My setup DX9 SDK installed DirectX 9.0b Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 256 mb DDR TV DVI AGP card Nvidia driver 56.72 dated 1 April 2004 Windows XP home edition 1 gig of 266 mhz CPU ram AMD 1700 series CPU operating at 1.466 gightz I get this error from the directx 9 SDK Texture Tool:
quote:
Unable to create Direct3D Device. Please make sure your desktop depth is 16 or 32bit.
I have tried many things including resetting all driver stuff to defaults with generic graphics modes. Made sure everything was uptodate. Gotta be something simple I overlooked.

The texture tool uses REF device for rendering the textures, not depending on the hardware. Therefore, this shouldn''t be a driver issue.
Do you have the SDK correctly installed? Have you enabled the option "Enumerate Reference Rasterizer" in the DX control panel extension?

-Nik

DXtex.exe does not come up at all. Just the error in a little dialog box when you click on the exe or any shortcut leading to it (ie the sample browser or program menu item)

The Caps viewer does show only HAL D3D devices and no REF D3D devices, so perhaps I have installed the DX9SDK wrong?

Hard to tell cause everything else works great.

quote:
Original post by dreamchaser
The Caps viewer does show only HAL D3D devices and no REF D3D devices, so perhaps I have installed the DX9SDK wrong?

Perhaps, but it might not show up until you''ve turned it on in the DirectX Control Panel. (There''s info about that in the Forum FAQ).

I had that problem too, and was unable to solve it, so I recompiled it using HAL for the device, and it worked, it''s a hack, but you can try it =D

---------------------------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people: those who know binary and those who don''t

Problem solved!! as Nik02 suggested my problem was an install error. When folks started mentioning a DX Control Panel which I did not have or even know I was supposed to have, I went online to Microsoft looking around at the available DX9SDK downloads. It appears they had a DX9.0b version I was not aware of so I DL''ed this file for install.

I formally uninstalled the old SDK stuff using windows and saved my tinker stuff to incorporate in the new install.

Then I reinstalled using the download dx90bsdk.exe to an empty temp folder.

The last thing this stuff installed was the Managed Directx system.

Now the file DXtex.exe (directx texture tool) works just fine without any need to enumorate REF D3D devices in thge DXCP since they come standard now as part of the SDK install.

It is possible you may also have an install error CutterSlade.

My thanks to you all for your help in this problem.