Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simulating muscles in joints

This topic is 4946 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m working on a small artificial life project, and am not quite sure of my muscle simulation. The creature is a stick figure, and has muscles in the points where two sticks meet. The physics are calculated with the springs-and-mass-points system, in 2D. In the simplest example, there is a small worm with one joint, shaped like the letter "V". The worm should be able to flex by creating torque in the joint. How should I apply forces to the mass points? Currently when a joint wants to flex, I calculate the force with the traditional "F = T/r" for both sticks, and then apply it to the far-end masspoint of the stick, and an opposite force to the joint-point itself. So the endpoints get one force each (to the direction of the sticks'' normals), and the joint-masspoint gets two. I''m just not sure if this is correct. At least all the forces cancel out, but somehow this doesn''t feel right. I prefer having the muscles create torque at the joints, and not using adjustable invisible springs connecting the endpoints, acting as muscles.