Turn based war games

Started by
22 comments, last by PeterTarkus 19 years, 10 months ago
I liked the first Master of Orion. (i liked the funny sounds of the space battles :D )

Other favorites:
- X-Com
- Defender of the Crown
Advertisement
quote:Original post by JeffF I never bought civ3... have to rectify that some time.

Don''t bother

No, really. After CivNET, I was pretty disappointed with Civ3. My biggest problem is the "special resources" concept that pretty much kills you when you''re getting to the musketeers and don''t have any salpeter when the (#expletive_deleted#) french are knocking. Afterall, it''s not much of an improvement over the first one and has a way less flexible interface than CivNET (granted, CN was an ugly MFC-based hack, but you actually saw what was happening).

Oh, yes: it actually had a working multiplayer mode out of the box! For singleplayer strategy, I''d guggest Galactic Civilizations. It''s reasonably balanced, has good AI with an attitude that doesn''t make you punch the screen while yelling "DIE YOU FRENCH WENCH!" three turns into a game, has no copy-control (at least in the online version, the German distributor decided he''d be an a$$) and nice gameflow.

I guess it''s a thing of overdevelopment vs. balanced self-limitation.
I will humbly disagree. Civ3 with the expansions is great especially the resource system. It''s simple yet adds a whole strategic element that was missing.
If you like anime with big robots, try finding a copy of any
Super Robot Taisen(Wars) game.

It''s a bit like Advance Wars only featuring Gundams, Veritechs,
EVA units and more. Great and fun little games if you can find
a translation.

Highly recommend Super Robot Wars Alpha(and Alpha Gaiden) for the
PS1. Fun times.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement