Turn based war games

Started by
22 comments, last by PeterTarkus 19 years, 10 months ago
I was curious how many still like the old DOS turn-based style games. In particular my favorite game of all time was Warlords. It was a DOS turn based fantasy war game. It is IMHO one of the classics of all time. Then of course there is Civilization, one of the best games ever created. I know Final Fanstasy was turn based ( I think ) but I never played it. I know it has a huge following though. I am sort of tired of the RTS game genre and want to get back to the roots again. Age of Mythology was a great game but the AI is terrible. Play aggressive and the AI is smoked in about 5 minutes. Only Titan level is challenging because I **know** it cheats. Age of Empires 2 was way harder. I think game companies are trying to make it more appealing to newer players lately or to make it easy to win. The thing with Warlords was it was extremely challenging. It might have been due to a really bad random number generator I think.. Peace->out
Advertisement
Warlords IV is out if you want that. In general I avoid TBS games as they tend to get overbloated with complexity and features. RTS games have to stay simple, as if they got too complicated you wouldn''t be able to play for all the shit happening at once. TBS games get as complex as the designer wants, and before long you have Orion 3.

X-Com is still the best TBS tho. Recently TBS has been getting more press in the console world though, with Advanced Wars for the GBA and Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1. Pleasant and reasonably simple TBS games.
-- Single player is masturbation.
I used to love those games although I''m not familiar with the ones you mentioned. I played tbs a on c-64 (SSI and Avalon Hill). You should try the Avernmum series from Spiderwebsoftware I LOVE THAT BATTLE SYSTEM . They''re shareware rpgs that rock.
I agree, some of the TBS games I have played were a bit too complicated.

Warlords 1 was extremely simple really. I think that is a part of what was appealing about it and why it was very addictive.

X-Com! Haha, I forgot about that one. Good game.

Hmm, well, my taste is just changing for the moment, yah know, you play some game in the genre for a bit and after a while you get bored and want to go play something else. I find that happens to me anyways, I get a mad urge every year or so to fire up Quake 2 or Doom or whatever and go through the whole thing in a night or something :-)

peace
quote:Original post by nonnus29
I used to love those games although I''m not familiar with the ones you mentioned. I played tbs a on c-64 (SSI and Avalon Hill). You should try the Avernmum series from Spiderwebsoftware I LOVE THAT BATTLE SYSTEM . They''re shareware rpgs that rock.

hehe, yep, I played many on the C64 and Atari systems. I still remember the music to Ultima 3, and the demons at the gate to the secret city hehe...

Which makes me think.. you know.. I remember back then, I never really thought that my Atari, C64, Amiga, Atari ST were slow. Did you ever notice? Did you ever think they were slow? I never had a problem at all until I went into the Intel architectures and the never ending upgrade cycle.

Well, anyways, as a note, that yes, the C64 and Atari 8-bit games were very limited by today''s standards, they did very little really, but still I never thought to myself the machine was too slow. In fact it never really occured to me that there was a need for something faster at the time.

Which amazes me because I remember playing nearly 3d games on the C64 which, not quite like Doom, but very much like Wolfenstein. One of them was a game in a dungeon, I can''t remember the name, but it had a bar and grill in there with the beatles name on it or something, grrr, I can''t remember. But anyways, it was 3-d quite alot like Castel wolfenstein (the original) was. But it took nearly 5 more years to get the crappy PC to be able to compete with what the C64 already was able to do (and the Atari 8-bit).

Hmm.
thinking about it i just realized how i never cared about games like battle isle or panzer general, but loved x-com and jagged alliance. there''s not a huge difference, except the latter are more flexible in terms of how your units "look" like (skill and weapon wise).

just went back to work on one along the same lines in the shadowrun universe (but seeing how microsoft is sitting on the license and not doing cr.. with it i''ll probably drop cyberware and not call it shadowrun). feature creep is my enemy, as many things id like to add might make the interface ugly and uncomfortable (like shooting two weapons at once, using different fire modes and the option to "layer" commands (like queueing in rts, just that they happen at the same time, ie. shooting while moving).

btw. playing chaos league i realized how you can screw up a game by doing just one thing wrong. it is just SO obviously blood bowl that i had to play the demo and tried hard to like it, but
managing 9 players in real time is too hectic for me (doesnt really allow any neat strategies). turn based mode is a joke (every 5 seconds you get 10 or more seconds to issue commands while the game is paused). i havent found ways to abort the 10 seconds (if you dont want to give commands its plain annoying) and you cant force giving commands (watching a perfect pass just to have the receiver run straight into a blocker that suddenly showed up because you cant change the orders for the next 3 seconds is frustrating).

it could have been so simple if you could just pause at any time to give commands like other games do it since baldurs gate. they probably wanted it to work in multiplayer and ended up with a single player thats just absolutely no fun.

what i basically mean is: give me more decent turn based team games like jagged alliance. they appeal to the rpg player in me by increasing the members skills or hunt for better equipment and at the same time allow for more flexible strategies.

silent storm would have been great if it wasnt for the hightech stuff ruining the atmosphere for me. so many cool moments like throwing a grenade out the window and having the explosion blow the enemy through the closed window right next to you or blowing away whole parts of a building (just to avoid going all the way around to the stairs).
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
You might want to check out silent storm. It''s set in a WW2 setting, and it''s a mixture of both realtime and turnbased action. It''s pretty fun.
Tactics Ogre, for the PS1, is also a pretty fun tactical RPG (with a couple annoying quirks, like the text boxes which pop up in the middle of some commands, and some glaringly obnoxious spelling mistakes; ever see someone write "Designation" when they mean "Destination"?) If you want to go further oldschool, try the Shining Force ones on the Sega Genesis/Master; very simple but enjoyable battle system.

And no, my Atari 520ST was never "slow". Even playing a full-screen top-down shooter at 256 colors, 320x200 pixels, 20+ FPS, with 10 huge completely unique levels, all packed onto a 1440kB floppy. On a what, 10 or 12 MHz Motorola 68K processor, right?
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
I''m currently working on a turn-based strategy game similiar to Final Fantasy Tactics, actually.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement