Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The win32 part of an OpenGL program

This topic is 4945 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im currently learning OpenGL and im wondering, would it be interesting to learn all the win32 code by heart? Right now, I pretty much understand everything I write, but I really couldnt start a project without my book or previous code as a reference. There seem to be just way too much constants, structures, functions... Do you just end up knowing it all after a couple of years of using it?

It''s not necessary to actively learn it all by heart. You should try to learn how it all works, and what the different lines do, but having MSDN memorized isn''t necessary. Heck, I''ve been programming Windows applications since Windows 3.0 and I still can''t write a base program without consulting a reference.

eventually you will have most of it in your memory

I know all the functions and vars for making a window and handling messages without reference. auto complete helps but I guess that is like a reference

As long as you know you have to register a window, then create it and show it. Also how the message pump works.

You can always look up the exact parameters if need be.

CloudNine pretty much got it

You should be using your brain trying to figure out how to implement an effect or something, rather than trying to remember what the 6th argument of CreateWindowEx is

Alot of it _will_ come to you over time, though.