Debug in DirectX

Started by
4 comments, last by Starfalcon2 19 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I just learned basic directX functions. I was aware that I has some difficulty with debugger. I wanted know what are the varibles or going on. When I debug my code, I use breakpoints. The debugger would crash (I mean display by directX but could not exit, use alt + tab or like that, so I I have to restart my computer) where I put the breakpoint. Sometime, other points would work fine. I like to know kind of advices of debug in directX.
Advertisement
yea i have the same problem, ( i think all ppl using DX9 will). just step to the beging of your code befor the window is shown and befor the Direct3D9Device (if thats what your using) render device is initialized. it doesnt make much sence to me, but if i step through those slowly, the compiler never loses focus.

edit: sry thats not all,i just tried messing with this some more and it seems youll also need to step right befor and through the first call of the windProc (peekmessage() for me))

[edited by - unliterate on May 28, 2004 9:21:30 PM]
You are getting problems because after creating Direct3D & acquring the Video Hardware you can''t get focus to the debugger but only in fullscreen mode. To do debugging there are 3 options,

1: Use another monitior.
2: Do network debugging, program is run on one PC & Debugging info goes to another.
3: The easiest one, use windowed app, for debugging & switch back when finished with it.

Hope this helps!
::- Hear the beauty of silence -::
I used MS Visual Studio network debugging tool for DirectX stuff, it works quite well.
inserting breakpoints at the points i specified seems pretty easy to me .

edit: to clarify, thats two breakpoints, right befor the render device is initialized (with D3DInterfaceObject->CreateDevice()) and the first time you call a function that calls the wndprc, can anyone else confirm that this works for them?

[edited by - unliterate on May 28, 2004 10:20:44 PM]
Thanks for the advices! I never heard about network debugging, but it sounds fun! I just found some information about it. Before I go to crazy, I have xp, window 98, and visual C++ 6 and net. I tried to connect 6 and net(in unmanaged). It failed or I went wrong. What ever I said, but I want to know if it supposes work or it is insane .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement