Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MIDI

This topic is 4943 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

G''day there, I am not sure how to address this question and stuff, but i''ll give it a go. I was hoping to find out if there were any ''free'' utilities out there for producing midi sounds?! But that really isn''t the important bit. What i really want to know is there any programs or SDK''s etc out there that let you use MIDI sequences in your games etc... I know FMOD does, but that costs money?! I dont really have the money for any of these programs and aren''t marketing huge games or anything, but was just hoping there was something out there that i could use. If you could offer me any help that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and support. MeeZ

I use Allegro (www.allegro.cc/files) which is a cross-platform free C library which is mainly graphics functions but also includes some easy MIDI functions. It takes two lines to set up the sound capabilites, one line to load a MIDI file and another one to play it.
Allegro can sit happily alongside OpenGL in a C++ program.

[edited by - AndyMan on June 3, 2004 10:52:33 PM]

If you use a current version of DirectX, DirectMusic Producer reportedly works with MIDI and is engineered specifically to construct music and sounds for directx applications. You can download it for free at www.microsoft.com

It''s not as fancy as FruityLoops or Cakewalk, but it is free, and works directly with DirectX apps.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m not entirely sure what you mean by producing MIDI sounds. If you mean composing for MIDI then I highly recommend Cakewalk. But why are you using MIDI? I don''t want to sound like some maniac intent on pushing their own sound format on the world, but MIDI is so... primitive. Most people I know have a soft-synth that sounds appalling, and MIDI in general is not very good for compatability. Don''t get me wrong, basically everyone can play MIDI files, but they''ll sound different.

If your music is in MIDI already then why don''t you try Timidity++? If you output your MIDI into a WAV file, you can add effects (like flange, or reverb which is very good for creating ambience with slow music) using your pet favorite audio editor [mine''s Goldwave].

I personally compose in MIDI [using Cakewalk 3.01 - made for Windows 3.1!] and then export to wav (track by track) with Timidity++ [instruments based on Eawpats, but mainly custom patches made using Stomper by ZAP). Effects courtesy of Goldwave.

Compression: I would recommend mp3 for compatability, but I''ve heard there are charges because somebody''s still holding on to the patent or something. In terms of sound quality for your bitrate I would recommend OGG Vorbis (open source and free to use), but you may have to install some Directsound or equivalent on another OS to play it.

It seems other people have already given you advice on the other areas in your question. Sorry if I got the wrong idea of what you wanted, just trying to help where I can.

--Geraint

(btw - I actually can do some pretty keen stuff using my MIDI-based set-up. Email me at GeraintLuff at yahoo dot com and I''d love to send you some)

Hey there,

Thanks for your help fella''s, I''ll look up some of those things you mentioned. To the Anonymous Poster, The reason i want MIDI is because the files are small! I can have a whole backing track for my game levels at the cost of a few kb, wheras in .wav format they would be huge! But i will look into what you mentioned. Thanks.

MeeZ