Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX 8 vs DX 9

This topic is 4943 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I want to make RPGs with DX 9. But I can only find books and articles with making RPGs with DX 8. The only DX9 book I can find is "Advanced 3D Programming with DX 9" (Walsh), and I think that''s too hard for me, a beginner. Are there big differences so that I will have a very hard time converting all the code, or..? Do NOT ban me or punish me in any way, for asking dumb and `noobish'''' questions. I can''''t help it.

Give "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" a shot, by Frank D. Luna...it is very basic, gives you the fundamentals of using the fixed function pipeline, and gives you a context to view the rest of your reading in...oh...and buy it though the gamedev amazon link...
Beyond that, personally I recommend the microsoft SDK...decent enough reference for your purposes...just download the DirectX Summer 2003 update SDK and the doc files are in a subfolder...that you want to program an ''RPG'' has nothing to do with graphics. I think perhaps you might have a better shot at figuring things out if you categorize the things you need to know.
Presuminably you want 3D graphics...that''s a checkmark to learn...a big one...you''ll want AI of some sort, probably a good way to integrate a scripting language...etc etc...and in general you need to learn the overall architecture of a game engine which needs to be seperated from the graphics end for anything decently complex...
I''ve noticed these ''3d game programming'' books are really ''3d graphics programming in real time''...keep that in mind, and that you''ll need to do more than graphics...

No, it''s not very different between versions. Most of the theory and architecture is the same, though some of the names have changed a little bit. The SDK comes with good documentation (for C++, at least - and that includes tutorials) so you should have no trouble finding your way around.

Besides, if you find you''re not getting on with DirectX 9, you can always just switch to DirectX 8. You don''t even need to download anything new - the SDK supports all versions of DirectX up to and including DirectX 9.

Richard "Superpig" Fine
Smoother than a greased baby
[TBRF|GP&T|Enginuity1|Enginuity2|Enginuity3|Enginuity4|Enginuity5|TB|DirectXFAQ]

Even with the old names, as well?

Do NOT ban me or punish me in any way, for asking dumb and `noobish'''' questions. I can''''t help it.

DX9 is virtually identical to DX8 - there were many things added (namely HLSL), and there were some overall improvements and optimizations made, but the basic structure is the same.

Umm, whatever

Use DirectX 8 until you get a good footing. If you''re experienced, then yeah, it''s easy to switch. But not if you don''t know what you''re doing to begin with. Either find a good DirectX 9 book / tutorials, or use 8.

I have tutorials and eBooks on DirectX 8, but I have the DirectX 9 SDK. I cannot seem to find the DX8 SDK, and I cannot seem to find DX9 stuff...

You use the DirectX 9 SDK. But you need to #define the version number before you include the headers. I''m not sure what the graphics define is, but direct input is:
"#define DIRECTINPUT_VERSION 0x0800", where "0x0800" is version 8. Maybe #define DIRECT3D_VERSION 0x0801 or 0x0800?

You may want to do a search for the SDK docs of version 8 though. I don''t think the docs are backwards compatible

quote:
Original post by Reven
I have tutorials and eBooks on DirectX 8, but I have the DirectX 9 SDK. I cannot seem to find the DX8 SDK, and I cannot seem to find DX9 stuff...

quote:
Original post by Superpig
the SDK supports all versions of DirectX up to and including DirectX 9.
As Jiia said, that doesn''t include the docs, but they''re in the ''extras'' section on the site IIRC.

It''s seems like you don''t understand what DirectX is. You can''t create a game with ''just DirectX''. I see you want to develop RPGs, well then go buy ''Programming RPGs with DirectX (8.0)''. It has a chapter that covers Win32 Window creation and Direct3D basics.

Read the FAQ of this very forum, and you''ll discover a lot. The link is in my signature and on the top of this page.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)

Uhm, I''m sorry, but there is *NO* difference, in terms of how you use them, between DX8 and DX9.

If anything, DX9 is easier since the D3DX library has been enhanced considerably.