[java] 3d Java program

Started by
18 comments, last by Riviera Kid 19 years, 10 months ago
Note: If you want to use BufferedImage, you need very few changes; the code for creating the image is the following:
this.backBuffer = new BufferedImage(displayWidth, displayHeight, BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_RGB);DataBufferInt buffer = (DataBufferInt) backBuffer.getRaster().getDataBuffer();pixels = buffer.getData();  

I think this *is* actually better as long as the image type is TYPE_INT_RGB (no weird format).

With the method I posted above, this is quite fast (~50 FPS for a flat-shaded object on an 800x600 screen, and that includes Z-buffering which means that it'll be a lot faster if you just sort polygons).

[edited by - Matei on May 31, 2004 12:57:30 PM]

[edited by - Matei on May 31, 2004 1:00:26 PM]
Advertisement
Riviera Kid (cant remember pw and couldnt b bothered opening hotmail to see it)

thanks alot. Thats great.

I am using memeoryimagesource atm. Using the bufferedimage is nice cos you still have access to the graphics paint if you create a graphics context from the buffer. I think.

cool. Ive read many tutorials on poly filling and that is by far the easiest to understand.
Since array indexation in Java is rather slow, it is better to split the polygons into triangles. You can render triangles without using a left[] and right[] array.
Why do my programs never work on other computers?
quote:Original post by nonnus29
If you want to see a feature complete java software renderer google for ''idx3d''.
No, google for jPCT...
Anyway, about the MemoryImageSource vs. BufferedImage discussion: If you don''t want to support Java 1.1 (i.e. MS JView) use BufferedImage. It''s more flexible and should be a bit faster too. If you want to support 1.1, stick with MemoryImageSource or support both...but that requires a little more work to hide BufferedImage from 1.1. environments.

check out ken perlin''s (of perlin noise fame) webpage...he has a very feature complete java software renderer entirely in java 1.0 (or 1.1?)...that means no bufferedImages, but the applets work in IE without upgrading the JVM...good for non techies.

an example object: ice cube

his website is at http://cat.nyu.edu/~perlin/ and all the code is around there somewhere, i just dont remember where. IIRC, its free to use (and to look at for your own edification) as long as you keep the attribution and dont use it for commercial purposes.
ah, here it is:

Java 1.1 3D renderer
Matei: the proper tag to use is [ source ][ /source ] so you don''t make the forum scroll left to right .

private   int  [] pixels;    private   MemoryImageSource imageSource;    private   Image backBuffer;    private   int  [] left = new   int  [2000];          // store the x value of the pixel on the left side of the triangle at a given y value.</font>      private   int  [] right = new   int  [2000];      // ditto for the right side</font>      private   void   createMemoryImage() {           // should be called after you set/change your window size</font>          this  .pixels = new   int  [displayWidth*displayHeight];        this  .imageSource = new   MemoryImageSource(displayWidth, displayHeight, pixels, 0, displayWidth);        imageSource.setAnimated(true  );        this  .backBuffer = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().createImage(imageSource);    }    /*        Given a line, calculate its x coordinates for each y value and place them into dest.       My example uses some fixed-point math, which is not the best way; you can make it use doubles       or use a true integer line-scanning algorithm; I''ll post a real one when I implement it myself - right       now this was just needed to get things working, and it does work fairly well.   */</font>      private   void   getLineXVals(int   x1, int   y1, int   x2, int   y2, int  [] dest) {        if  (y1 > y2) {     // swap so y1 is on top</font>              int   t = x1; x1 = x2; x2 = t;            t = y1; y1 = y2; y2 = t;        }        else   if  (y1 == y2) {     // horizontal</font>              return  ;        }        int   dx, dy;        dy = y2 - y1;        dx = x2 - x1;        int   gi = (dx*2048) / dy;          // multiplies and divides by 2048 should get optimized to shifts by the compiler.</font>          int   xi = (x1*2048);        for  (int   y = y1; y < y2; y++) {            dest[y] = (xi/2048);            xi += gi;        }    }    private   void   rasterizeTriangle(ProcessedPrimitive p) {        // p is just a class that contains the vertices of the triangle in *counterclockwise* order (important!)</font>          // they are stored as doubles, so we cast them here; if you''re really adventurous you can look for a moe</font>          // precise line-drawing algorithm that actually uses doubles rather than ints and make the </font>          // appropriate changes.</font>          int   x0 = (int  ) p.x[0];        int   x1 = (int  ) p.x[1];        int   x2 = (int  ) p.x[2];        int   y0 = (int  ) p.y[0];        int   y1 = (int  ) p.y[1];        int   y2 = (int  ) p.y[2];        int   yMin = y0;        int   yMax = y0;        if  (y1 < yMin) yMin = y1;        else   if  (y1 > yMax) yMax = y1;        if  (y2 < yMin) yMin = y2;        else   if  (y2 > yMax) yMax = y2;                // use the fact that the vertices are in counterclockwise order to determine whether</font>          // the edges are left or right edges.</font>          getLineXVals(x0, y0, x1, y1, (y0>y1 ? left : right));        getLineXVals(x1, y1, x2, y2, (y1>y2 ? left : right));        getLineXVals(x0, y0, x2, y2, (y2>y0 ? left : right));                int   col = p.color.getRGB();        for  (int   y = yMin; y < yMax; y++) {            int   l = left[y];            int   r = right[y];            int   w = r - l;            if  (w<0) continue  ;            int   from = y*displayWidth + l;            int   to = from+w;            Arrays.fill(pixels, from, to, col);             // fast way to fill a continuous segment;</font>              // if you want to do other calculations for each pixel (maybe Gouraud shading or texturing?), use</font>              // a manual fill as follows:</font>              // int pos = y*displayWidth + l;</font>              // for(int i=0; i<w; i++) {</font>              //    pixels[pos] = col;</font>              //    pos++;</font>              // }</font>          }    }    public   void   paint(Graphics g) {         // clear background to black:</font>          int   max = displayWidth*displayHeight;        for  (int   p=0; p<max; p++) {            pixels[p] = 0xff000000;          // alpha=255, r=0, g=0, b=0</font>          }         // for each triangle, rasterizeTriangle(t);</font>                    // now draw the raster image onto the screen</font>          imageSource.newPixels();        g.drawImage(backBuffer, 0, 0, null);    } 

First make it work, then make it fast. --Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
quote:Original post by EgonOlsen
quote:Original post by nonnus29
If you want to see a feature complete java software renderer google for ''idx3d''.
No, google for jPCT...
Anyway, about the MemoryImageSource vs. BufferedImage discussion: If you don''t want to support Java 1.1 (i.e. MS JView) use BufferedImage. It''s more flexible and should be a bit faster too. If you want to support 1.1, stick with MemoryImageSource or support both...but that requires a little more work to hide BufferedImage from 1.1. environments.

Yes, but the source to jpct isn''t freely distributed now is it? Hmmm? But I would love to hear you insight on this:

Array access is too slow to go in the most often called routine in a software renderer (the rasterizer). It only takes another for() to get all the x values, which is there anyway in the getlineXVals() method.
The array accesses for writing to the left and right happen an order of magnitude less often than the inner loop operation of writing a pixel to the screen, for which you have to use an array write anyway. So I think it's really worth the ease of use it brings. Later in my engine I added Gouraud shading and texturing, and all it took was a couple more calls to the interpolate functions instead of all kinds of temporary variables in my main function and worrying about all the possible types of triangles (when to switch the slope to loop along a new edge, and which edges to start looping down?). And I originally read about this method on a site from around 5-10 years ago, when people really tried to optimize things because they used much less powerful computers (www.exaflop.org). With the Hotspot JVM, you can't even really be sure that the array accesses will be that slow, since the triangle rasterizing functions will certainly be the main target for optimization.

[edited by - Matei on June 4, 2004 7:25:52 PM]

[edited by - Matei on June 4, 2004 7:27:47 PM]
Thats true about the hotspot vm and the other, but I would just point out that 10 years ago asm/c programmers didn't have bounds checking unless they implemented it; and you can bet they didn't.

I'd like to do some test on this someday and see what the truth is... Maybe someone already has?

Edit:

http://www.gamedev.net/hosted/3dgraphics/implementation/software/index.html

[edited by - nonnus29 on June 4, 2004 7:42:06 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement