Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copy to a surface

This topic is 4946 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my screen, i will draw something for some seconds, and after that time i want to draw to my screen it''s initial state. So, before i draw to my screen my stuff, i have to save somewhere the initial state of the screen, which mean i have to copy the screen surface to soewhere temporarily. I do this: SDL_Surface *temp = SDL_DisplayFormat(screen ); //draw some stuff SDL_BlitSurface ( temp, NULL, screen, NULL ); but it doesn''t work from the documentation it says: "This function takes a surface and *copies* it to a new surface (of the pixel format and colors of the video framebuffer)" Questions: 1) Why it doesn''t work? 2) What should i do??????

I''m not entirely sure but you might with SDL you can blit the contents of one surface to another - like drawing an image from a source surface to the screen surface so in theory you should be able to swap the order of the surfaces in the call to SDL_BlitSurface() to blit the contents of the screen to another tempory surface like this:

SDL_Surface *g_ScreenCopy = NULL;
SDL_BlitSurface(screen, NULL, g_ScreenCopy, NULL);

That method might work, it might not. I haven''t tested it out but there are bound to be better ways to do it.

thank you Spudder but that won''t work because you didn''t create the surface at first
Maybe i can get it to work if i use CreatRGBSurface and then BlitSurface (i''ll try it now), but why Display format didn''t work???
thanks...