Degrees in Comp Science

Started by
1 comment, last by kag1 19 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I attend college this fall (2004) and majoring in computer science, but my college has 3 major empasis'' or whatever (I must choose one) The choices are, Computer Science, Software Engineering, and Computer Anyalazist (or something like that, but they are all a BS Comp Science Degree) I was just wondering if other colleges'' do that and what the best one is for game/dev/programming. Also, I was wondering about my Masters and PHD, if I got a masters or a PHD does anyone know the salary increase that a guy would probably get for having a PHD compared to a BS. and lastly, I was also thinking about maybe double majoring in Math, because to get the BS in Comp Science I gotta take lots of math anyway, so would it be a good idea to just take the extra courses..(possible 5 years instead of 4) and just go for the major in math too? or would that be ''not useful'' out in the world...(without an education degree i couldn''t teach it so maybe there would be no reason in learning all the weird math stuff?) I realize i''m probably getting ahead of myself, but i''m just wondering about the possiblites, thanks
Advertisement
I will be going into my 3rd semester of my BS in Computer Science at the University of Central Florida. The only three computer majors available at my university are Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), and Computer Engineering. I will be going for my masters in Computer Science, but not likely to finish through with a Ph.D unless I really feel willing to do so when the time comes.

I can''t really comment on which of the three you listed will be best for programming since I''ve only had experience with Computer Science, but I can tell you ever class that I''ve taken that has to do with Computer Science has been a programming class with Java and C/C++. About the salary increase, that''s not really something that can be determined in a general manner. However, with a Ph.D I''d say that your chances of landing a job in the Computer Science field would be very good, especially with internships on the side while writing your many thesis''.

Finally, double majoring in Math is something that I still wonder if I can do myself, since I''m about to go into Calculus 3, and there aren''t many math classes left that I am required to take for my major, so if I see that I have enough time, I will go for a double major, and you should too. Also, consider business or law if you don''t think you want to do math. A guy who can problem solve computers and understand the ethics of the economy behind what he''s doing, or the legality issues, is someone that nearly all software development companies desire.
In my experience, a PhD doesn''t raise your salary a whole lot in the games industry (less than the pay raises you would have gotten for working in the field for those years). Of course, YMMV.

The math on the other hand will open a lot of doors especially if you know how to apply it. Graphics, physics, and AI all are areas that math will help in a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement