Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

making own format based on X File

This topic is 4945 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to build my own format for my 3d object based on X file. The only reason I''m doing this is that Direct3D provide many support on it , yeah.. I''m such a lazy dude !! but a friend told me that x file won''t be good enough for the real deal since it uses parsing scheme to read it. Is there any other reasons ? Or have someone used X file for a real proj ?? I also have difficulties making/registering my own template since I can''t find any articles/docs/sampe regarding this matter..

Here''s my opinion on it: if you are going to go the full mile and not use D3DX''s ID3DXMesh, you my as well create your own file format. However, you can load your own data into ID3DXMesh, but it just doesn''t support animation very easily.

If you make your own file format you can:

(1) Know how to parse it, since you created it
(2) Do animation easily (at least, easier than you can now). Also, you can do whatever kinda of animation you want.
(3) Put whatever tags/data you want to have in there

The downsides to creating your own format are:

(1) You have to write an exporter from a 3D modelling package (it''s not that hard to do for 3ds max), or write a converter

(2) You have you create your own artwork. For example, if you choose to use MD2 or MD3, you can find thousands of them on the internet on Quake mod sites.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

The problem is not how to read X format, but how to create a new format based on X since I believe you can make your own templates and such..
it''s just that I''m having a hard time find a sample