Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unreal Tournament 2004 like game....

This topic is 4942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What usually takes the longest, the programming for one person, or the graphics. or both. Because most of my friends arnt as computer knowledgable as I, and i always thought it would be cooler to claim a whole game to yourself.

OK, seriously without being rude, let''s get this straight.

Assume you have a team up of up to 10 motivated individuals, which are willing and motivated to learn a discipline (be it 3d modeling, texturing, programming, sound..)

If they have no experience, it is VERY unlikely that they will achieve a UT2004 quality game inless than 20 years.

ooh, excercising so much retraint right now.

Listen, do yourself a favour, finish gradeschool and go outside and enjoy life..
this will never ever EVER happen, not alone, not with 10 people..
Do you think these companies spend a few million dollars because they just feel like it?

Not true.
If sombody has a lot of time & got a couple of friends that can do the modeling & story, an engine coud be developed by a single person. The sad part is that the person woud hawe to work about 10-12 h a day - newer go out unles nececary...
It all actualy depends on:
a) What is your motivation & how good is it
b) Your expirience
c) IQ (let yust say if sombody had ower 200 It woud be wery posibal)

p.s.
Sory about gramatical errors

So does he

What I mean is nothing is impossible. Unfortunately what you want to do is so improbable there's just no way you can do it.

Regaurdless, here's the steps you'd need to take if you wanted to make something even resembling Halo (in a very crappy way):
1.You'd have to split up all the jobs you'll need between you and your friends. Programmers, modellers, storyline writers, etc.

2.You'll all have to research and learn about your position for monthes/years.

3.Once you even understand what to do then you'll have to start working on your project, which will also take years.

4.Once you're done you have a working (shitty) Halo clone about 5 years later which will probably break copywrite laws so good luck trying to sell it.

[edited by - Ceoddyn on May 29, 2004 5:12:34 PM]

You can certainly make a game "like" UT2004, but nothing of it''s caliber. There are too many special diciplines to worry about - art, sound, etc.

Realistically, you can create a 3D engine, and have models move around it, and have art, and sound, etc. But who creates the art? And the sound? The models? You need to know an awful lot of skills. This is a problem I have with making my own game, I can program the game, but I can''t do the art or sound very well, and I''m still learning 3D modelling programs.

It''s best to find friends (or even strangers) who will help you with a part, so if you can find some artists, or some sound guys who want to help, that would be benificial.

Or even better - just concentrate on making the best game you can with the limited resources you have. Then submit that little game to a real game company and get a job. That way you can actually be part of making a world class game with a full team of people!

Let''s be realistic... Unreal Tournament 2004 was written by 20+ people with years and years of experience ("the best of the best"). They worked on it for several years, mostly 12 to 16 hours a day and they hade a huge codebase to work from.

Is it realistic for one person to write an Unreal 2004 clone? Absolutely not!

It is realistic to write a 3D game engine alone, but one that doesn''t even get close to Unreal Tournament. Don''t underestimate the complexity of a commercial 3D engine.

Epic has had a team of 20+ people working on the unreal engines and games since around late 1995. Thats alot of experience spread over a lot of people.

its possible, but not likely.

hey anything is possible. i mean, its possible for me to have a sudden spark of inspiration and program my computer to be self aware, but its not likely.

All things are possible through Christ.

And besides that, there is always going to be the optimistic view vs. the realistic view. (They are not often the same).

You''ll just need time, motivation, luck, and fierce determination in various quantities.

But sure, it''s possible.

The Irrlicht engine was written by a single person. Its worth checking out for what a single person can accomplish in a relatively short period of time.

quote:
Original post by Cipher3D

hey anything is possible. i mean, its possible for me to have a sudden spark of inspiration and program my computer to be self aware, but its not likely.

You obviously never tried to slam a revolving door... ;P

Read up on the development of Counter-Strike. I found it to be an interesting story and may give you some ideas on what a small group of people are capable of with the right tools.

It all depends on the definition of "as good or close to Unreal 2004 or halo"

Most of that time and money is spent on art. If you can come up with a game design that doesn''t require such exorbitant quantities of artwork, it''s not impossible for one person (or few) to make a decent game.

However, FPS is not the genre I''d choose. You can find ready-to-go 3d engines that will reduce the amount of code work, but they don''t reduce the art requirements. FPS games tend to be especially art-heavy because there''s not much else there to differentiate one shooter from another. Most other types of games are easier to work with.

Currently, my favorite space strategy game is Starships Unlimited which was made by one guy and is better than MOO3 or the Reach for the Stars remake; and my favorite traditional strategy game is Dominions 2, made by a very small team, which I prefer over CIV3 and such.

That would take quite a while, you have to spend alot of money, and get a team of several people that know exactly what they are doing.

quote:
Original post by Cipher3D

Yeah... I did that. But then it tried to take over the world and I had to kill it and remove all evidence of how I did it from the face of the Earth.

Anyway; I hate to be the first person to suggest it... but why don''t you try making a heightmapping system first (was going to say Tetris, but whatever) then making "guns" with raytracers or something similar, then attempting to add networking.

If you start really really small at first, you might (just might) be able to make a simple FPS. And that alone is a big accomplishment!

Best of Luck!

Yes... VB6 is here to steal your minds fps. Very slowly.
Call .optimize(you.sig)

quote:
Original post by Syntaxxed
How likely is it for one person who knew what they were doing to make a game as good or close to Unreal 2004 or Halo?

I believe UT2004 ships on 6 CDROMS or 2 DVD''s. That''s a lot of artwork and maps for a single person ...
But even making an engine that can do what UT2004 can do is probably impossible.

I think that it can be done, it would take some time and you would need to get some money, but if you can figure out something that has never been done before and implement it right it would go. The right idea could solve all the other problems.