• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Syntaxxed

Unreal Tournament 2004 like game....

This topic is 5194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How likely is it for one person who knew what they were doing to make a game as good or close to Unreal 2004 or Halo?

Advertisement
perfectly possible if they have no time/budget constraints!

EDIT: by that I mean years/decades

Jack

[edited by - Jollyjeffers on May 29, 2004 12:20:03 PM]

What usually takes the longest, the programming for one person, or the graphics. or both. Because most of my friends arnt as computer knowledgable as I, and i always thought it would be cooler to claim a whole game to yourself.

OK, seriously without being rude, let''s get this straight.

Assume you have a team up of up to 10 motivated individuals, which are willing and motivated to learn a discipline (be it 3d modeling, texturing, programming, sound..)

If they have no experience, it is VERY unlikely that they will achieve a UT2004 quality game inless than 20 years.

ooh, excercising so much retraint right now.

Listen, do yourself a favour, finish gradeschool and go outside and enjoy life..
this will never ever EVER happen, not alone, not with 10 people..
Do you think these companies spend a few million dollars because they just feel like it?

Not true.
If sombody has a lot of time & got a couple of friends that can do the modeling & story, an engine coud be developed by a single person. The sad part is that the person woud hawe to work about 10-12 h a day - newer go out unles nececary...
It all actualy depends on:
a) What is your motivation & how good is it
b) Your expirience
c) IQ (let yust say if sombody had ower 200 It woud be wery posibal)

p.s.
Sory about gramatical errors

So does he

What I mean is nothing is impossible. Unfortunately what you want to do is so improbable there's just no way you can do it.

Regaurdless, here's the steps you'd need to take if you wanted to make something even resembling Halo (in a very crappy way):
1.You'd have to split up all the jobs you'll need between you and your friends. Programmers, modellers, storyline writers, etc.

2.You'll all have to research and learn about your position for monthes/years.

3.Once you even understand what to do then you'll have to start working on your project, which will also take years.

4.Once you're done you have a working (shitty) Halo clone about 5 years later which will probably break copywrite laws so good luck trying to sell it.

[edited by - Ceoddyn on May 29, 2004 5:12:34 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!