Unreal Tournament 2004 like game....

Started by
23 comments, last by Syntaxxed 19 years, 10 months ago
It all depends on the definition of "as good or close to Unreal 2004 or halo"

Most of that time and money is spent on art. If you can come up with a game design that doesn''t require such exorbitant quantities of artwork, it''s not impossible for one person (or few) to make a decent game.

However, FPS is not the genre I''d choose. You can find ready-to-go 3d engines that will reduce the amount of code work, but they don''t reduce the art requirements. FPS games tend to be especially art-heavy because there''s not much else there to differentiate one shooter from another. Most other types of games are easier to work with.

Currently, my favorite space strategy game is Starships Unlimited which was made by one guy and is better than MOO3 or the Reach for the Stars remake; and my favorite traditional strategy game is Dominions 2, made by a very small team, which I prefer over CIV3 and such.
Advertisement
That would take quite a while, you have to spend alot of money, and get a team of several people that know exactly what they are doing.
Projects:Laser Apocalypse-50% Completed
quote:Original post by Cipher3D
its possible, but not likely.

hey anything is possible. i mean, its possible for me to have a sudden spark of inspiration and program my computer to be self aware, but its not likely.

Yeah... I did that. But then it tried to take over the world and I had to kill it and remove all evidence of how I did it from the face of the Earth.

Anyway; I hate to be the first person to suggest it... but why don''t you try making a heightmapping system first (was going to say Tetris, but whatever) then making "guns" with raytracers or something similar, then attempting to add networking.

If you start really really small at first, you might (just might) be able to make a simple FPS. And that alone is a big accomplishment!

Best of Luck!

Yes... VB6 is here to steal your minds fps. Very slowly.
Call .optimize(you.sig)
quote:Original post by Syntaxxed
How likely is it for one person who knew what they were doing to make a game as good or close to Unreal 2004 or Halo?

I believe UT2004 ships on 6 CDROMS or 2 DVD''s. That''s a lot of artwork and maps for a single person ...
But even making an engine that can do what UT2004 can do is probably impossible.
I think that it can be done, it would take some time and you would need to get some money, but if you can figure out something that has never been done before and implement it right it would go. The right idea could solve all the other problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement