Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What avi format to use, is it legal??

This topic is 4947 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I made a animated logo and intro movie for my game in max and I''ve rendered it out to stills. They''re all set up to be rendered to avi''s for my game but i don''t know what compression to use. My questions are: 1. If i used the divx codec, would the user need to have divx installed or can you distrubute it? 2. What do most games use when it comes to movie formats? 3. Is it legal to use avi format commercially or do u need a license like mp3''s Any advice on the best compression to use would be great. Thanks heaps

Well I don't think you need a license just to use avi's however you may need one for a specific codec such as divx or realplayer. Also if they have it installed might depend on what API/Program you plan on using to play them. I think most games ty use either AVI's or MPEG's.

[edited by - Scet on May 29, 2004 12:46:51 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
A lot of games use game specific product like blink. But there are a cost for such products...