Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Character/Object Editor?

This topic is 4947 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For basic models, Milkshape is a good choice. Blender is another choice, though I''ve never used it.

John Bolton
Page 44 Studios
Current project: NHL Faceoff 2005 PS2

quote:
Are the files produced by this program easily exportable to OpenGL?

You''d don''t really export files to OpenGL, you just write a loader for 3D model files that can get the data from the file so you can display your model in your program. Blender has scripting functionality using Python so you can either write an exporter for your file format of choice, or find an existing exporter script.

quote:
Also, I noticed that a lot of people use 3dStudioMax, is it really that good?

3D Max is a professional 3D Modeling package, with a price tag to match (several thousand dollars). It is good but it''s also a lot of money. Blender on the other hand is completely free.

Personally I think Milkshape (which costs $20) is a nice modeler to go for. It''s not particularly advanced but it''s easy to use and can export to many commonly used game model formats and has a plugin architecture so you can write your own. Blender is free and has more features but its interface is horrible, you''ll probably be able to start modeling well in milkshape far quicker than in blender.