Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Database

This topic is 4949 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I no this queestion has been asked many times, but ive searched and am unsure which route to take. Basically im trying to have a database which i can extract information from and set the data as varibles. From what I can tell me best option is to have a MySQL database, and connect to it through the MySQL++. Firstly simple question, i cant find any application to let my make mysql databases, can any one help? My other option is to store my information in an mdb (access) database and call from it using ADO or DAO. Can any one advise on the best method and share any code techniques? Thanks,

Most ''proper'' databases run as services, you either use third party tools to perform operations or use ADO etc to pass instructions through queries.

phpmyadmin may be helpful if you don''t already use it. I''m not an MySQL buff so cannot help any further with names of tools.

My advise is to use Access to do the design, then use the upsizing wizard to pop into MSDE.

Jay

just download MySQL and install it. You can then run queries or, as suggested, use phpMyAdmin if you feel uncomfortable building your DB using manual queries. I''m pretty sure mySql.org has a windows client for that too.

another option...

RDBMS without the separate process...

SQLite

------------------------------------------------------------
// TODO: Insert clever comment here.

edit: fixin' me english spellzings

[edited by - drowner on May 30, 2004 3:23:23 AM]

[edited by - drowner on May 30, 2004 3:23:57 AM]

MySQL can also run as an embedded database engine, which behaves exactly like the client/server version except that there is no separate server (and it doesn''t need a server install etc)

The licencing terms of MySQL do not all use of the embedded engine in commercial (non-GPL) applications without buying a licence; this may not be what you want.

Mark

Ok, thanks guys,

It looks like MySQL is the best option. I have downloaded it in a windows enviroment and installed it. However when ever i try and run the examples i keep getting the following error:

The application has failed to start because LIBMYSQL.dll was not found. Re-installing thee application may fix this problem.

I have reinstalled and same error, :S

Thanks,
Chris