Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jpeglib causing errors?

This topic is 4949 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've run into a problem when compiling my project. It seems to be caused by the inclusion of the jpeglib header. I'm going to have to be very vague because I can't post the whole code and I've got no idea which part of the program is at fault. Put simply, the inclusion of the jpeglib makes 103 errors appear which mainly relate to the stream headers (ios.h, istream.h, ostream.h etc.). Some of these errors include:
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\ios.h(146) : error C2872: 'streambuf' : ambiguous symbol
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\ios.h(159) : error C2872: 'ostream' : ambiguous symbol
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\ios.h(159) : error C2872: 'ostream' : ambiguous symbol
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\ios.h(160) : error C2872: 'ostream' : ambiguous symbol
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\ios.h(180) : error C2872: 'streambuf' : ambiguous symbol
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\ios.h(207) : error C2872: 'streambuf' : ambiguous symbol

I'm hoping this is going to be something as simple as the age-old problem of forgetting windows.h before gl.h. But I get the feeling it won't be that simple. If not, then I will atttempt to futher explain my problem. Thanks [edited by - Anima on May 30, 2004 8:07:18 AM]

I presume that, given the errors, this is a problem with including iostream/iostream.h. I notice the jpeglib header does include this file. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong, or at least tell me the meaning of the error message and how it comes about?

Well, I worked it out. It was because I had ''using namespace std;'' everywhere. The inclusion of the iostream.h header meant that the symbols from iostream and iostream.h became the same - therefore ambiguous... or at least i think that''s what happened. If anyone could confirm my conclusion I''d be grateful.