Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dev-Cpp compiler problem

This topic is 4944 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What directories are normal for the Tools->Compiler Options->Directories menu? Because I tried to modify them a bit to optain a smaller exe, but now my exe is 761 KB and before it was 100 KB!!! The problem is that I don''t remember the original settings and the f* Default button is disabled, oh god I love betas. Also where does Dev-Cpp keep information about all this, cause I''ve tried to uninstall it (twice!) but it still keeps the information about it''s colors and so. And yes I''ve deleted the main directory every time...

give MinGW Developer Studio a try, it's very stable,and the editor rox, the only thing it miss is a class browser and autocompletion.

URL: http://www.parinya.ca

[edited by - hpolloni on May 29, 2004 10:24:58 PM]

Okay, now I''ve managed to solve the size-problem (by copying the entire code into a new project), and now my attention is concentrated on getting my exe smaller (maybe tiny?).
I''ve found the -s linker parameter which make my exe from 100-50 KB, but what excatly does it do?
And furthermore does anyone know how to size it down even more? Until now the only things I''ve included is windows.h and gl.h
And the third question is; how tiny can you get a Win32 project, with a single emty window, with Dev-Cpp? (Just to know how much crap I''ve put into it already)

Thanks for all answers.

The variable & function names are stored in exe, but -s removes them. Strip could be also worth a try:

http://www.mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml#faq-C++size

Actually Strip should be doing the same thing as linker option -s. Strange thing in DevC++ 5 is that adding -s and -S (remove debug information) to linker options doesn''t seem to do nothing. All symbol strings are found in exe.
Someone know why?