Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ID3DXSprite performance

This topic is 4948 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey GDers, What''s the maximum number of sprites you (from your personal experiences with ID3DXSprite) have been able to draw on screen per frame at a playeable rate (say > 40 FPS), assuming they all use the same texture? Red Sodium Build a man a fire, and he''ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he''ll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

1500 64x64 sprites gives me 114fps
radeon 8500

edit: had to change the fps
the fps code wasnt working right

[edited by - eFoDay on May 31, 2004 2:39:39 AM]

I just realized something, im rewriting my sprite engine, and to conserve memory i set it up so that sprites are re-used more than once every rendering pass, so my ID3DXSprite wrapper class has a render function that takes the x and y coordinates, the rotation, and the scalign values(speaking of, im not entiredly sure how your supposed to scale jack crap in the summer 2003 update without using set transform, which id rather avoid...) would this all adversely affect the performance by some how screwing with the batching of the sprites?
-Dan

Assuming summer update, and no texture changes, you''re looking at having it build a triangle list for you, 2 triangles per sprite. So, I guess it''ll come down to the speed of your AGP bus, and the speed of your graphics card...