• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WhileTrue

Terrain LOD / Heightmap Collision

This topic is 5231 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I'm back at this problem again. The problem is that I am using Chunked LOD, a great terrain algorithm, but as a result, I can't really go to the Heightmap to check for a terrain collision. I don't need anything too complicated, but I need to keep my player always on the terrain, never "inside" a hill, and never sort of "floating" on top of the air. These things happen though when I go to my heightmap for collision detection. The problem is that, let's say the player is at X, Z 7, 7 but my geometry doesnt use this point in it's representation. So the heightmpa says maybe, height is 250, but the geometry has a different value (an interpolated value from other points, maybe 0, 0 0, 16 16, 0 and 16, 16) So what are the alternatives? Can you tell me the other strategies / approaches to this? Any links? That would be relaly helpful if you have a link to do terrain collion for LOD'd terrain. [edited by - WhileTrue on May 30, 2004 7:01:46 AM]

Advertisement
Why not use the same formula to calculate heights that you use to calculate the LOD values?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!