• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glitchh

developing middleware as a business

This topic is 5281 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have some great ideas for middleware libraries/toolsets targeted mostly/solely at indie game developers (from a technical and marketing point of view). the resources (money,experience,time for dev and support) are available, but i''m not yet a business guy and i''m unsure about things like target market, competition, pricing etc. i''m wondering whether gamedev'' middleware is actually a viable niche and in what ways could i prepare myself for entering this market (which i would love to do professionally). i believe that most of the money would be made from keeping close contact to repeat customers e.g. a game developer purchasing one of my tools and then licensing it multiple times for his future projects (my tool''s license would be bound to a single product). so i guess i just need someone to tell me whether i''m wastin my time with this. any comments/links appreciated.

Advertisement
While middleware is a sound concept I doubt that indie developers would be a great market to aim at. By their very nature they tend to be doing stuff on a shoestring. Stil I guess it depends on what it is. If you haven''t already you should check out garagegames.com. They are licensing their Torque engine to the indie market for $100.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions (www.obscure.co.uk)
Game Development & Design consultant

Guest Anonymous Poster
As long as it is priced right, I don''t see a problem. Anything under $100, (I would say $50 or less is even better), is in the range of most low budget developers. Don''t base your price on the amount of work you put it into developing your product (if I did, it would be hundreds of dollars ), but base it on what people are willing to buy it.

thanks.

the software i have in mind is a bunch of rather lowpriced components (50$ sounds about right) that can be dropped into exisitng game projects (even on top of Torque for that matter). the components will be free for use in non-commercial projects so i guess at least i can get my name out there.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!