Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editing .raw files?

This topic is 4948 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m having trouble easily and accurately editing .raw files for heightmapped terrains. Can anyone point me in a direction that would allow me to do such? Thanks in advance.

Depends on how the data is stored and what kind of data is stored. There could be unlimited ways to edit raw files, its just like any other file extension, like .map file extensions, there isn''t just one type...

Well I am able to open the .raw file in an image editing program and see the various shades of black in the image. When I change the shade colors it changes the terrain, but it''s hard to get it accurate. I''m not sure if I''m doing this right? Maybe I''m misunderstanding the whole concept of heightmapped terrains and .raw files...

Obtain a program which supports conversion of raw image files into something else. Imagemagick does this, paint shop pro *may* do it.

Either way, you will need to tell it the dimensions and colour depth of the image (probably only greyscale or truecolour) of the raw image, or it won''t be able to make sense of it.

Convert it to a more useful format (tiff maybe?), edit it, and then convert it back.

Raw files do not have headers (as their name implies), so all necessary information must be supplied by the user.

Mark

Paint shop pro opens .raw files directly. It''ll ask you the height and width and bit depth, because those are not known, and then you can work on them as images, and then save back to raw.