Which 3D Application to use?

Started by
0 comments, last by Timbo_M45 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I am interested in eventually becomming a professional 3D artist in the games industry... I have also had some hobby experience programming games, however, I think I would be better suited as a 3D modeler. I wanted to get an oppinion on something... I''m currently using Blender (www.blender3d.org), and have some experience using other free or shareware 3D modeling programs - Anim8or (www.anim8or.com), and Virtus Walkthrough Pro. What my quetion is, should I seriously consider teaching myself 3D studio, and eventually getting certified through a college program? Or is it safe to stick with Blender, which, according to a gamedev.net poll, is the 3rd most used 3D software right behind 3DS and Maya (sp?)? Is knowing blender, and developing my skills with it good enough to get into the business? Or will employers deffinitly be looking for certifications in 3DS Max or Maya? Could I possibly stick with Blender until college, and THEN learn 3DS Max? Which I''m sure may have many of the same fundamentals etc.
Advertisement
I''m sure you won''t have trouble learning 3DS Max, Maya or whatever other ''professional'' tool, if you understand the 3D modelling techniques.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement