Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

future of independent game developers?

This topic is 4946 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

yes,my question is not technic,its simple,or maybe difficult. In these days i see people in the forums chatting about how Doom III engine is superb or will it be more than we imagine,but the real question is how more years we will have to work to make or try making attractive games. I mean,as us independent developers mostly in gamedev.net are trying to make games or learning how to do it,but lets say we made our 3d engines all independently,will it be enough to sell like doom III?im hearing u say no!!! so why are we doing this,then?if its a hobby i dont think any hobby in the world isnt so hard,or time consuming.so what should we do?do u see our future?i think the first or last thing to think nowadays is this?are u thinking the same thing or not?please be fair and write here your ideas or suggestions. i wrote a 2d strategy game,there is a screenshot here www.geocities.com/btombaz and still learning how 3d engine is written,with all the maths and other stuff.but i wonder if someday will i have a game company?its my dream thanks for reading,im waiting your opinions

It cost $1 billion to make lord of the rings, and took 3 years to make.

Blair Witch cost < $50,000 and took about 2 months to make.

People still watched blair witch.

Food for thought.

Making games will be easier in the future.
Tools that independent devolpers can't afford now might become available when they are outdated.

So games by independent developers will be better in the future.
Commercial games will be better in the future.
That means nothing changes ... only the overall quality of games.

And many people try to get into the industry.
They can gain experience as independent developers ...

[edited by - Clueless on May 30, 2004 3:47:25 PM]

Well, a game is a game. If people are will to pay to play it - who gives a crap how its done? No-one.

If you know you can make a game by yourself - then why should anyone stop you? Go ahead and do it.

I read somewhere that the largest online gaming community is actually women aged between 35 and 50!!! They don''t want to play DOOM3 or halfLife2, they are more interested in tetris, breakout, gambling and puzzle games. Someone still has to write games for them I guess. Also, most of todays publishers are getting a little stagnant in their game design, opting to develop ''known'' titles such as the wo mentioned previously, and franchised games such as FIFA or LINKS etc. There is still plenty of room to develop games independantly that are completely original and fun to play.

Re: 6.

Funny you should say that - I''ve always wanted to make a Dance game than a FPS!

And with that many Ladies out there who play them - who am I too refuse them? I''d best get cracking with .NET...