Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Grand List of Overused Science Fiction Cliches

This topic is 4941 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ah, a fellow hard Sci-Fi fan who inflicted too much Star Trek upon themselves. Its really frickin'' sad that it took this long for people to actually learn basic Newtonian physics in sci-fi (Babylon 5 being unique in its depiction of space physics).

That being said, a lot of those things listed (healing via laying on of hands) are fantasy elements of space opera, not true hard sci-fi. You can hardly blame someone for wanting to tell a fun story about energy beams and space wizards and not worry about physics. Still, so much sci-fi is full of "fake science" and bad cliches, I agree with a lot of this list.

One big complaint - a lot of that was complaining about features from the Matrix. Matrix (first one) was good. Don''t knock it.

And yes, from both a scientific and even from a simple internal consistency standpoint, Star Trek is just painful to watch. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but I can''t just eliminate knowledge from my head.

Well, thank you for the post. My ending plot climax where the heroes upload the virus with a big sign that says "Uploading Virus," and the terminal explodes due to a lack of circuit breakers onboard the ship, which is also due to a self-aware program that overrode its own protocols thanks to a beautiful alien monster looking for a mate...

... will just have to be rewritten.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Where does this need to be so different come from?

If I make a great game and someone else takes the idea and makes it better, who wins in the end?

If 10,000 people do something and make money off it they must be doing something right.

There are lots of games that are similar in background and very different in play.

I don''t promote being sheep but I can''t blame them either.

James Dee Finical
MMORPG Designer

Name one sci-fi movie or video game that doesn't have one of those elements.

This list was created by people who watch way too much sci-fi, unhealthy amounts.

Edit: and number 38 "Earth is threatened by an asteroid, and a space mission is mounted to save the planet". That's only been used in what, two movies? And not made-for tv crap, but actual movies?

Deep Impact and Armageddon. And Deep Impact was arguably not even science fiction.

[edited by - Blue Mind on June 1, 2004 9:19:15 PM]

quote:
Original post by Blue Mind
Edit: and number 38 "Earth is threatened by an asteroid, and a space mission is mounted to save the planet". That's only been used in what, two movies? And not made-for tv crap, but actual movies?

Deep Impact and Armageddon. And Deep Impact was arguably not even science fiction.

I know of one more: "Asteroid" from 1997. It was one year ahead of it's bigger brothers (DI & A), but I thought it was better than them. EDIT: Whoops.. Sorry.. Made for TV. But I still thought it was better than DI & A.

BTW (sorry OT): Anyone noticed the "franchising" in movies?
1997 - Volcanos
1998 - Asteroids (+ one from '97)
1998 - WW2 Movies (Thin Red Line + Saving Pvt. Ryan)

I know there's more but those are the ones I could think of at the moment..

Sorry about going OT.

[edited by - frostburn on June 2, 2004 1:31:02 AM]