I need a hand figuring out OpenAL's 3D sound...

Started by
0 comments, last by Jonny K 19 years, 10 months ago
My game is a 2D top-down kind of shooter. I''m setting up the 3D sound so that you hear the world from the perspective of the hero ship. As the ship moves near an alien, you will hear the hum of the alien engines. That kind of thing... But since I''m working in two dimentions, it''s a little tricky to figure out how to configure OpenAL. For instance: //Where I''m facing, and the up direction float listenerOri[]={0.0,1.0,0.0, 0.0,0.0,-1.0}; alListenerfv(AL_ORIENTATION,listenerOri); Now I''m doing all my drawing on an X,Y coordinate system between 0,0 and 1,1. Therefore, I''m looking into the Z axis I guess, with the Y axis heading up, and the X axis across. Have I set the orientation properly? From the perspective of the hero ship (remember, I''m looking down at it), the ship is facing toward the Y axis (looking up from my perspective). Therefore, the ship is facing Y, and the up direction is...negative Z? (toward the camera). ALso, it seems that no matter how far away something is, I can still hear it. How do I make it so that I only hear the sounds when they are close to me? I''ve played with settings like "AL_MAX_DISTANCE", and "AL_ROLLOFF_FACTOR", but I''ve had no luck. Thanks.
Advertisement
Bumpin it up!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement