Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auto texture generation question

This topic is 4948 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In Eternal Lands we have clouds shadows, that''s basically a lightmap that is projeced over pretty much all the objects, to make them look less repetitive. At the time I implemented this, I didn''t know Mr. OpenGL can do that by itself, so I generated a secondary u/v array, and manually computed all the clouds coordinates, for each object. Then, of course, I had to do a cache algorithm to delete the clouds uv for the objects that weren''t displayed in a long time, to clear some memory (the clouds UV was unique for each object). Our current method is not very slow (like I said, we cache the results), but, well, it''s not the most elegant way. So I was wondering if I should get rid of the extra UV array for each object, and replace it with autotexture generation. Is that fast? And if someone would be kind enough to explain me how to do that, it would eb great (I have a big, big handicap, because I don''t quite understand math very well).