Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using a PS2 controller on a PC

This topic is 4943 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, anyone know if this is possible? (I post under the DX forum, cos I prefer to use DirectInput) I''ve found a couple of companies that seem to ship PC->PS2 convertors, but I was wondering if anyone here has experience of using a PS2 controllor for the PC under DirectX? cheers, Jack

hello.. i got one, even though it is a pretty simple one with no rumble support and it works great, even the analogue sticks works perfectly.

I''ve used one, and yes, it can work. You need to code support for that kind of device (comes up as gamepad, I think) in your app, or use Action Mapping.

quote:
I''ve used one, and yes, it can work.

thanks for confirming everyone. Appreciated!

quote:
Or even better

Not a PS2 gamepad is it, looks similar - but not quite. The whole point is that the production code will run on a PS2, so it has to be exactly the same

cheers,
Jack

No it isn''t a PS2 controller, but from what I can see it''s an exact rip-off... are there any of you who own PS2s that see an obvious differences?

Guest Anonymous Poster
vnillabrent or AndyTX, do you know if that gamepad will work in Linux?

It''s close, but not quite there. The D-Pad on the Logitech one is a circular thing while on the PS2 controller, it''s four distinct buttons. Other than that, the differences seem cosmetic: the Start and Select buttons are placed differently and the four main buttons are numbered instead of symboled. I can''t tell about the shoulder buttons since the pictures don''t let you see them.

As for a converter, they do exist and most any designed for PS2 controllers should let you use the controller identically to on a PS2. The only difference with coding them would come from it having more buttons than your avergae PC gamepad. But DirectX and (I believe) the Linux gamepad modules can handle more than your standard quantity of buttons.

Linux compatability? I don''t know about the Logitech controller, but most PS2 converters are USB devices and so most, if not all, of them can be loaded as USB gamepads under Linux. The only difficulty I knwo of is that some converters map all D-Pad presses as analog axis presses instead of button presses. This means you can''t press left and right simultaneously (though only a few games need that, like DDR, which uses a different type of controller all together). If you need that functionality too, look for a converter that is "dance pad compatible" and you''ll be fine.

Mine doesn''t cause any problems under Linux if it helps. It''s the SmartJoy Plus.

To get a converter, try Lik-Sang. They have tons of different brands of them available.

If you want more advice on the subject, just ask.

-Auron