Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dynamic Character Building

This topic is 4942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! Well, this is my first post on the forums. The problem i am having is with my character design for a 3D RPG i am working on. I want a system where i can change armorparts on, for example the arm. The thing is i don''t want to create a totally new model for every change to the model. So, I need a solution in which a certain body part is replaced with a new body part, if a new armor piece is added to the character. There are a number of ways I have come up with, with some help on IRC. One of the best solutions imo is to change the body part to a new model and weld the vertices on the edge. The only proble we have now is we do have 1 solid model, but how do we handle the texture. We were thinking of using a dynamic texture creation procedure, in which texture parts from templates for the bodyparts are copied to one total texture and this is then used on the model. This would ensure a low number of texture change calls. This method still has to be tested for performance. One problem that is clear with this solution is when you apply it in an environment with a lot of player characters ( for example multiplayer ). Everytime a character would change armor, you would have to update his texture on the system. If there are a lot of players, this would mean: a) we could send the new texture, this would cost a lot of bandwidth, but the texture wouldn''t have to be recreated on every system b) we only send data about what the character are wearing, and let every computer create the new textures for themselves. Both have their problems, as is clear. So, I was wondering if there is a better solution to this problem in general. Have we overlooked a better solution? Thanks in advance and sorry for any bad english.

There''s no way that you send actual game art over the network. Solution A just doesn''t work. You need to send enough information for the client to know what texture to update itself with.

quote:
Original post by Enokh
There''s no way that you send actual game art over the network. Solution A just doesn''t work. You need to send enough information for the client to know what texture to update itself with.

Well Second Life works that way. While you play it streams new game data like textures to your PC. After all most of the game is structures and textures created by the users themselves.