Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

very strange runtime error

This topic is 4947 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote a simple 2d animation in direct3d. It compiles and works fine when I run it from Visual C++ .net. The sprite is a png. It is a picture of a 32*32 circle. From Visual C++ the circle is the same as the png file. However, when I execute the .exe file outside of the Visual C++ environment, on its own, the program only shows an animated tiny dot. Why am I not getting the full size circle? This is a very strange bug in my opinion.

Is your app in debug or relase mode? Does thie same thing happen if you compile it as debug, but run the it outside of MSVC? If so, try running it through DbgView from the DirectX SDK and see if you get the same thing.

It''s a media path issue.

Assuming that you''re running the .exe that gets put in the "Debug" or "Release" folders, you need to first COPY the .exe back into your main directory (the "working directory"). Otherwise, your app won''t be able to see the media (texture) files.