Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tetris

This topic is 4942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i just finished programming tetris for a computer class of mine in high school. I know it has some bugs but it''s due today so i''m turning it in as is. i''d be glad to hear comments on it. mainly i''d like people to suggest what i should change/fix to make it more enjoyable or closer to the original. you know the simple things. thanks haha almost forget download it from enoph.no-ip.com/tetris.html

Guest Anonymous Poster
Drew, it''s a no-go on the webshow!

Link not working for me.

quote:
Original post by DrewSmug
i just finished programming tetris for a computer class of mine in high school. I know it has some bugs but it's due today so i'm turning it in as is. i'd be glad to hear comments on it. mainly i'd like people to suggest what i should change/fix to make it more enjoyable or closer to the original. you know the simple things. thanks

haha almost forget download it from enoph.no-ip.com/tetris.html

Well, I tried it, so here's my suggestions, bugs, critics.

Suggestions:
- Possibility to speed the brick down would be nice (down key).
- Player should have limited side-movement per 'turn' (if I can call it this way), but JUST one move per turn is definitely not enough..
- Some colours (or textures) would be nice.
- what else... highscore? ;-)

Bugs:
- First I thought that it's just accidental flickering, but soon I found out that sometimes well (whole game area) accidentaly moves left (few bricks), and then after a little fraction of time goes back (all is heppening in horizontal axis). It's very disturbing :-(. Once it even turned active block from:

##
#
#

into such a 'weirdo'. ( _ = empty space, so it almost looked like two separate ones...)

__###
#

It was quite confusing.

- If one complete more than one line at once, still just one disappears - next line has to wait for another block to fall.

Critics:
- Thing I like is that you can rotate block even if it sticks to any of the walls. Not many tetris-clones have this feature ;-).
- You should learn how to use arrays. It's incredible, but you have unrolled almost everything that just could be unrolled, producing huge amount of unnecessary code (especially in 'blocks.cpp') and amount of variables (you should pack whole groups of variables into arrays, this should allow you to do more things using algorithm(s), and not the way of 'copy' and 'paste').
- You should consider whether being 'closer to original' is a good way to go. There were/are zillions of tetris-clones, some of them brought nothing new, some people took an easy way (just adding more block-patterns, and doing mutations like pentix or other...). Think if it's possible to make something 'innovative' in this area, and if everything inside you strongly feels 'yes' - then implement your ideas. I wish you all the best.

Well that's all. I hope my critics was constructive rather than destructive, and it will help you in further progress. Sorry for my english (it's a bit late here). :D

Btw: Currently I also write tetris-clone, maybe one day I will post the same message here ;-).

[edited by - squizzz on June 6, 2004 6:09:56 PM]

thanks for your comments. the several variables into an array is a good idea, that i think i will use in the future. and as far as being innovated right now i just am trying to program some things so i can say i''ve done it. I think i will clean up my tetris game, add the highscore feature, and then move on to two player pong over a network. anybody else play my game.

also if the website is down it will always be available here
ftp://enoph.no-ip.com/Tetris/