executable

Started by
7 comments, last by thomashun 19 years, 10 months ago
How do I make my finished C++ source code into and executable that I can give to someone to use? I know in visual basic you just hit create .exe, or something like that.
Advertisement
compile it.

If you don''t have a compiler (just guessing)

try either the free msvc 7.1 or djgpp (http://www.delorie.org or dev-C++

-------------------------
My homepage
0 A.D.
-------------------------0 A.D.
The process you need to go through is slightly different depending on which compiler you''ve used. What compiler are you using?
I am using microsoft C++ 6.0. I compiled, built, and ran the program; should there be an .exe that pops up or does it have another extension.
If you ran the program, then there is indeed an executable. Under your project folder, look for Debug and Release folders. Depending on how you built your program, it should be it one (or both) of these folders. Needless to say, only give your friends Release executables
The exe file is created when you compile. It should now be in your project folder, in a folder named either "Debug" or "Release" depending on which build configuration you're using.

[edit] Zipster indeed... Less than a minute.

-Arek the Absolute

[edited by - Arek the Absolute on May 31, 2004 8:13:00 PM]
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
Whats the difference between the debug and the release?
The debug version contains special data that lets you use the visual debugger on your code to step through it line-by-line as it executes so you can find what''s broken. It''ll also let you see exactly what line of code the program was executing as it crashes.

Release mode has none of that information, so the EXE is smaller and the program is usually at least a bit faster. But, of course, you can''t run it through the debugger to get any more than the ASM code.

Most of the time, you compile in debug mode as you''re coding a project and only switch to release mode when you deem the executable ready to unleash on the masses.

-Auron
short answer:
debug puts information into the exe that helps you, and or the debugger to, uh, debug your code (you know trace it, etc).
release has not the debug information, plus (depending of how did you configured the compiler) it optimizes the exe for better speed or better size.
i''m sure there is more in there, but i don''t know it all
i advice you to browse all the options in the ide and see by yourself what happens.

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.exepotes.com.ar
-----------------------------------------------------------Web Comic

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement