• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TechnoGoth

Textures quanity or size?

This topic is 5283 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question about memory use in openGl in relation to textures, which has a bigger impact on memory the size of a texture or the number of textures. For instance I have an object that is can exist in four states each state has its own 64x64 texture, would it be more memory effiecent to combine the 4 textures into a larger 128x128 texuture? Or would that take more resouces then the the four seperate? ----------------------------------------------------- "Fate and Destiny only give you the opportunity the rest you have to do on your own." Current Design project: Ambitions Slave

Advertisement
Havign one texture is better, avoids changing the texture, which is somewhat expensive, if done very often.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!