What is .... need info on several subjects

Started by
7 comments, last by DarkSlayer 19 years, 10 months ago
I find myself confused about 3D. I am going to start and look into 3D programming, most likely DirectX 8 (my graphic card doesn''t support 9 ... so not sure ). What is really bumpmapping? Pixel shading? Vertex Shading ... or a vertex ... all these stuff and alot more is just confusing since I don''t know alot about them. If I was to try code a renderer ... what should I focus on? alot of articels speaks about all these fancy stuff ... but what are they? ... "this demo is using pixel shading" ... okei? looks ok, but what am I looking for? so I need info ... do you know of any good sites that explain this? google only seems to send me to wrong places ...
Advertisement
I think you can start by reading the documentation of the directx about these things.It can give you a good start knowledge.
but generally, you have to use what you need.if you know the capabilities of vertex shader for example, you can decide when to use them in your renderer.
Try going through the Nehe OpenGL tutorials: http://nehe.gamedev.net.
hmm ... thx. I''ll try. Not sure if those are the best places to get those subject explained ... but I''ll give it a try.

I was hoping to get info about those stuff from another source than c++ code...
I don''t get it... if you''re starting 3d programming now, why would you want to start learning about complex things like bumpmapping and pixel shading?

I think that, if you''re really starting now, you should learn about 3d basics and go into theese things you said, later...

I''ve been programming in OpenGL for almost 2 months and I haven''t gone into colisions yet... I''m now starting to gatter material to learn about skeletal animation (man, thats difficult!)

Go to nexe.gamedev.net, click on the "Making a DirectX window" link at the tutorials and have fun! :D
error C2065: 'signature' : undeclared identifier
Before starting to learn an API like DirectX or OpenGL I recommend reading a book like, ie. "New Riders - Core Techniques And Algorithms In Game Programming" which covers the basic fundamental principles of 3D Programming (I highly recommend this book, it's very good). And after that maybe a book like "Wordware - Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" for DirectX or a similar book covering OpenGL

If you do not know what a Vertex, Matrix or a Rendering Pipeline is, starting to learn Initializing a Direct3D Device is kinda pointless. Theory first, implementation afterwards

I'd first start with well, guess what, 3D Math / Linear Algebra. Learn about vectors, vector manipulation, dot products, planes , matrices, transformations etc.

2nd, learn how 3 dimensional geometric data is represented, this will be about vertices, indexed primitives, triangles, etc.

3rd learn how a basic 3d rendering pipeline works, this will be about clipping, frustum/backface/occlusion culling, local/world/view space (= matrix transformations), lighting etc.

[edited by - mux on June 1, 2004 12:30:17 PM]
You guys are gonna overload the OP. From his previous posts, it seems he's really new to this, and needs to learn the very concepts of 3D, before diving into APIs and code.

Seriously, there's alot of stuff between plotting 2D graphics on the screen and vertex shaders, so you need to start befriending with google and searching for basic concepts like:

- Coordinate systems
- 3D space
- Points, lines and planes, in 3D
- 3D transformations (matrices)
- Vector and vector operations
- Converting from 3D space to 2D space (the screen is a 2D space)
- 3D rendering basics

These articles, hosted here on this very website, might help you a bit:

Intro to 3D Graphics Programming: Volume I
Intro to 3D Graphics Programming: Volume II
Intro to 3D Graphics Programming: Volume III
Intro to 3D Graphics Programming: Volume IV
Intro to 3D Graphics Programming: Volume V

[edited by - M3d10n on June 1, 2004 12:26:15 PM]
I have the math ... matrises and linear algebra ... I know what a vector is ... I have been modeling a bit in GMax ... so I know some stuff.

The reason why I ask is not how to learn code these advanced stuff ... but when I read about 3D .. there is so much use of "words" I really need an understaning of.

I agree ... theory first, not very in depth, but for a newb.
Then start fiddeling.. btw ... is there a site that explain matrises and linear algebra in "computer 3D" world ... I have a bit, but only basic stuff ... rotation, scaling etc etc

Mux: I am very very sceptical about books ( I have several computerbooks, and only Deitel&Deitel C++ is the only good I have) ... how good is the books?

thx for helping out
I''m skeptical about books too, but ''Core Techniques...'' has a very good theoretical overview on 3d programming. And the ''Introduction to...'' is also quite good afterwards when you want to dwell into the API called DirectX. Btw, use the DX9 SDK, and not 8, cause even if your card doesn''t support the latest ''shizn'', you still can code for it with dx9. DX8 is outdated, and DX9 has some internal changes making life easier.

If I have time I''ll write some tutorials on 3d basics

(I hope you know that there''s the bliss of ebooks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement