• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

playerWANG

Civil War....game?

This topic is 5227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just got browsing through a long discussion thread on another board about how California and Texas should secede from the United States and it made me think about Hearts of Iron, the game where you could be any country that participated in World War II. In that game, I didn''t had to be the Japan, Germany, USA, Britain, etc...I could choose to be Austrailia, Korea, etc.... Anyways, is there a game (boardgame even) where the fifty states are treated as independent nations (they are, anyhow) and presumeably go to war? And the player get''s to control a given state and wage war, make treaties, etc...Thoughts?

Advertisement
You could in principle mod Paradox''s Victoria or Hearts of Iron to do this, though it would be difficult. The problem is that small nations are not really that viable in either of those games, but if you ignore the rest of the world and put in a lot of factories and POP (thinking Victoria here) you could get it done. Or you could try combining some of the states, especially the smaller ones on the East Coast.

I have never found a war strategy boardgame that had more then about 12 players, most are 7 or 8 players for serious war boardgames. On a computer you could obviously create a 50 player game, either with an AI, or perhaps more interesting, an online game with a slower pace (i.e. 1 turn a day) that people could join (you would join the next game with available spots, and when you where eliminated you could go join another).

The main dynamic with a 50 player game is the classic free for all problem. Depending on what the rewards and cost of fighting are, you either get a few super powerful players that can plow through everyone after a short period, or the player(s) that are lucky enough to stay out of the fighting emerge victorious.

Obviously a rich diplomacy system would be useful, preferably one where negotiating with another play is often better then simply conquering them and taking whatever they have that you want.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!