• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr_Ridd

Genesis 3D

This topic is 5272 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howzit Has anyone used Genesis3D? If so, what is your critic of it? Did you find it powerful? Can you use it to make a full blown game like Unreal Tournament 2004? Shot The ability to succeed is the ability to adapt

Advertisement
I started programming using the "Game Programmers Starter Kit" when I was 12 (a LONG while ago...) and the engine was included in that kit. Thats a hint as to how out-of-date it is, though I''m sure its been updated since then.

Chris Pergrossi
My Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"

1997 called. They want their game engine back.

Seriously though- the original Genesis3D's graphical capabilities lie somewhere in between the original Unreal engine and Quake2. Network connectivity was based off of Directplay, which of course made gameplay unworkable over the internet- actually, everything in the engine (with the exception of the Glide renderer) was based off of DirectX. Some of the later rewrites such as Jet3D remidied many of these problems. If you are looking for an open source engine, ready to go, with a very Quake-like toolchain, then it is probably worth a shot. If you are looking to toy with the latest graphics tech or plan on doing anything but the most basic 3D games/generic indoor level-based FPSes, the engine's reliance on BSP tech (and some other problems that may have been fixed in Jet3D) will bite you in the ass. Hard. Take it from someone that tried to push it beyond it's limits.

Before anyone flames me on my detrimental view towards the tech, Genesis3D both ignited my interest in Open Source, as well as reignited my interest in making games. I wouldn't be around here if not for it, and my nick wouldn't be SteevR either (chose it when I registered on Eclipse's forums way back when).

[edited by - SteevR on June 2, 2004 1:16:22 AM]

I did a demo using it, and all I have to say is that it is a good old engine, one of its strongest features in my opinion is the radiosity lightning which looks awesome, and the fact that you have an scenario editor easy to use, but if you are planning to make a game that looks like Unreal or better, its gonna be quite dificult, however, take a look to the Genesis3D forums and check for yourself!

Genesis3D Forums

[edited by - j_vitel on June 2, 2004 10:45:56 AM]

Yes genesis3d is old... but I still play around with it and have taught it some new tricks:

such as:

spheremapping
32-bit texturing
embm bumpmapping
compressed texures

I''m currently working on dot3 bumpmapping but I''m running into problems...

This is not the engine for you if want the latest tech... but it''s still a good engine to get started with particularly if you have lower end hardware. Also if you want to prototype your game without to much fuss you could use the reality factory/genesis combo very easily...

Now... who wants to help with my dot3 problem...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!