Occlusion Culling

Started by
17 comments, last by Christoph 19 years, 10 months ago
hey, I've got some steps further.
I have to create two query objects, one with the event flag and one with the occlusion-flag.
Every frame AFTER THE PRESENT CALL (otherwise, it doesn't work) I call GetEventData. If this is TRUE, the hardware is ready to supply me with some new occlusion data, which I receive from the second query object.

Yet, there is another problem: I have realized that the more polygons are on the screen, the slower the query reacts. As in my application, thousands of triangles are rendered, the reaction time lies between 10 and 30 seconds (in wireframe mode every 5 seconds). But I need the data at least every second...
If I set the Presentinterval to ONe (instead of immediate), the results come perfectly fast, but the framerate sucks (in windowed mode)!

Do you have an idea how I can compensate this speed difference or can you explain it?

[edited by - Christoph on June 3, 2004 8:39:55 AM]
Advertisement
That is very unusual, considering that in using the unmanaged query, I have never experienced any of the events that you just described. I wouldn''t be a surprised if it was a managed bug.

I''ll check it out, and get back to you on it.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
The bad news: it looks like it''s a bug in the managed runtime (from here)

The good news: Summer Update 2004 is coming out soon! It should be fixed in that update.
cool, when exactly is the release?
quote:Original post by Christoph
cool, when exactly is the release?

Summer 2004

There is no exact release date. It will be out when it''s ready.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Well well, it finally kinda works. Yet, I''ll wait fopr the 2004 update.
But there is still one little issue to consider.
In windowed mode, the query supplies me constantly with values. However, this requires PresentInterval.One, which means that the framerate sucks...
In fullscreen mode, neither PresentInterval.Immediate nor PresentInterval.One entails smooth functioning of the query (the more pixels are on the screen, the more the query is delayed...).
Is this a normal process or again a mistake in the .NET framework?
Greetz, Chris
Since I run occlusion queries flawlessly in unmanaged with D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE, it sounds like the same Managed bug. I think the SDK update will be out fairly soon, though.
Christoph sucks !
Thank you for the compliment, Anonymous Poster, but I would propose that you do not tell me such interesting information in a serious DirectX-forum!!!
Sincerely, Chris

[edited by - Christoph on June 8, 2004 5:10:03 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement