• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Douchekop

Programming DirectX graphics and sound without windows libraries.

This topic is 5223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to write a small game in C++ with a very simple compiler like Bloodshed and only the C++ an DX9 libraries? I want to use Direct3D, DirectInput and DirectSound, but I don't want to use MFC or other windows/ MS libraries. Is that possible? I love simplicity. [edited by - Douchekop on June 1, 2004 11:29:49 AM]

Advertisement
In fact it is not very common to use MFC if you are running in fullscreen mode.

And yes it is perfectly possible (Y)

quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
It IS essential to create a window. But that''s just some COPYPASTE action.
You can easily do that with standard Windows API calls though. It''s actually a lot easier to create a window in GDI that MFC, since you don''t have all that overhead code sitting on top.

If you want to see some really easy window stuff, try out C#. The next time I have to create any tools, I''m using C# (especially since the managed docs are going to be a lot better with the next SDK release).

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would *HIGHLY* recommend using SDL+OpenGL. It will make your life much simpler, plus your game will be portable to a handful of platforms.

quote:
Original post by circlesoft
It's actually a lot easier to create a window in GDI that MFC, since you don't have all that overhead code sitting on top.

In fact to create a window with GDI you actually USE the windows libraries

[edited by - Dope-Show on June 1, 2004 3:56:37 PM]

quote:

It IS essential to create a window. But that''s just some COPYPASTE action.

So far as I know, the window class and window creation functions are declared in windows.h, which is required if you want to useDX in the first place, and is necessary for all windows applications.

If you want to get rid of ALL Windows API stuff, you''re out of luck. DX is a windows API, and you shouldn''t expect to not have to use it at all. If you don''t want to use *ANY* windows stuff, you shouldn''t be using DX, you should be using OGL.

I assumed the OP wanted to avoid using MFC, ATL, etc.

I shall explain the problem. A few years ago I began with game programming. I did it with Visual Basic 6 and DirectX 8.0a. After a year or so I quit because I had not enough time for gameprogramming. And now I want to begin again, but in these days I use VB.NET so I downloaded the DX9 SDK. Now is the problem that MS wants me to program DX9 managed or whatever they call it. The only thing I see is that everything is changed and that I need to learn everything again. I''m afraid that I get DX8 not running with VB.NET So I quit with VB.NET and DX.

I can program C++, but not for windows. I have programmed it for several RISC processors. So I know DX8 and I know C++... lets combine these two things.

When you''re programming for DX, you''re not "programming for windows". This is not win32 / mfc programming. The only stuff you really need to know about windows is how to handle a message queue. For everything else, you''ll just be using standard library stuff for the most part.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!