• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

howman

how creative is a producers role?

This topic is 5225 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wandering just how creative the role of a games producer is. Does he/she have a great deal of input in the story of a game, the the way the cahracters should look or the way in which the player should feel when playing the game etc. or does the producer have a more mangerial role where upon he/she makes sure everything is running smoothly, the games within budget and dealines are being met. Thanks.

Advertisement
Your second guess is exactly it.

The producer oversees all of production, that entails managing staff, planning schedule, making sure everyone is following schedule, dealing with budget, making sure that information is being relayed to the correct people at the correct times, reporting to company directors, communications between leads and QA management and so on.

Producers don't usually deal directly with the design aspect of a project.

[edited by - tiffany_smith on June 1, 2004 12:36:16 PM]

quote:
Original post by Tiffany_Smith
Your second guess is exactly it.

The producer oversees all of production, that entails managing staff, planning schedule, making sure everyone is following schedule, dealing with budget, making sure that information is being relayed to the correct people at the correct times, reporting to company directors, communications between leads and QA management and so on.

Producers don''t usually deal directly with the design aspect of a project.

[edited by - tiffany_smith on June 1, 2004 12:36:16 PM]

... which led me to the conclusion "I''ve seen the boss''s job and I don''t want it!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!